1986 civic si dies at idle

killroo

Hello, I have a 1986 Honda Civic SI that is fuel injected. my issue started when my car whould not start one morning, found out i did not have spark changed the pick-up coil in the dist. good as new drove fine until the motor warmed up to temp and it stalled wile at idle, started back up just fine and stalled again :shock:, sometimes it starts up right away othertimes it takes a bit of time. car drives ok unless i let it idel :idea:

now the car stalls under cold start and when warmed up:x

i have checked the following:
timming
crank angle sensor
temp sensor
tps
map sensor
fuel pressure
main relay

when i checked the TPS sensor the Ohms would jump around as i opend and closed the throttle not sure if this means its bad or not?

gugiey

Registered VIP
as you move the throttle the tps will read it in diffrent positions .
I'f the voltage changed when opening and closing . this is normal .

I would start with the main relay .
swap it out with a know good . and go from there .

killroo

ok, on the TPS the Ohms are like 3000 at closed and as i start to open the throttle slow it starts to jump up and down and in between i get open on the meter. dose this sound like a working TPS?

I looked at the main relay and i do hear the clicks when key is in position II and fuel pump turns on, PMFI on then off once fuel pump is primed. could it still be bad?

killroo

i did check the ECU under the passanger seat, and if you look directly at the window the far left light is on the rest are off, not sure what that code means?