1987 RT-AWD WAGOVAN build!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, so the hatch is now gone. It was fun, but now on to something a little more..challenging.

I found this gem locally on craigslist. After an initial upchoke-ing at first glance, the car grew on me. I did some research, I called the guy for a test drive, fell hard for it, and then bought it.

Here's the pics:

more in a sec...

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

It still has the ORIGINAL DEALER'S BADGE from the where the first owner purchased the car new (waaaayyyy back in 1988!)!!! I confirmed this with the carfax report.

and that's all the pics for now. I'll have to post the rest later. ImageShack is being slow. Big surprise :roll:

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Plans for Summer '08

1. Strip out interior for a complete refresh:
- Spray Dye the darker brown part of dash a little bit lighter of a brown. (Fix a crack in the dash while I'm at it)
- Spray Dye the headliner and pillars a light cream/ivory hue
- Give the rest of the dash/panels a good thorough cleaning and armor-all-ing
- Steam clean the hell out of the seats; stitch and patch a few rips and holes (or find replacements)
- Steam clean the hell out of the carpet
- Nardi Wood grain steering wheel and shift knob.
- Mugen pedal set
- Find a Coin Box for the console (it is missing! :( )
- As close to OEM looking tan floor mats as I can find.
- Vacuum out all dirt, mold, rat-poop, or whatever else is making that funky smell from all
the nooks and crannies in the shell.
- Spray the interior/shell with cream white to match exterior.
- Put all carpet, panels, and seats back in and get it looking tidy.

2. Exterior restoration

- Sand and prep body; fix all dents, remove and rid of any rust
- Remove rear wiper and shave hole
- Pain a light cream or ivory hue. Not a pure-white job. Jams painted. Wait on engine bay(for now!)
- Trim on doors and center lines of front/rear bumpers painted satin-black, as well
as air dam strips in the center of bumper
- Fresh satin coat for roof-rack and all exterior trim, mirrors, wiper arms, etc...
- Red pinstripe all-around in center of black bumper/side trim
- Custom fab. some sort of front lip from another older model Honda/Acura's lip ('86 Integra???)
- Custom decal shop reprints "RT-AWD" logos (or, find a set new from Honda???)
- Polish all OEM badging
- Find a "H" emblem for the front hood.
- Restore headlight, tail light, and bumper lenses
- Paint inside of headlight lenses gunmetal, VHT tint spray part of corner lenses to match the look
of JDM shuttle headlights. Any advice appreciated here.
- Find small circle-shaped Shuttle side-markers on Ebay or something similar in appearance.
- HID kit; Low Beam=Xenon and High Beam=Halogen (to pass inspection yearly)
4300K. More low key color, more classy looking to match theme of car.
- Replace rear-drivers side tail light (has a tiny chip)
- Replace rear-hatch support arms (their dead as a door nail)
- degrease and clean all of under-chassis; spray with "Chassis Black" spray

3. Engine/Mechanical:

- Replace any worn parts, hoses, belts, etc...
- Oil change, change all fluids
- Check up on transmission, service as needed
- new plugs, wires, cap, button
- Clean the bay like crazy. Make it look as good as that little D15 can look!
- Spray valve cover with a crackle black paint.
- Find out a way to safely and reliably drop this thing about 3 to 4 inches
Unfortunately, I'll PROBABLY have to ditch the cool mud flaps. They will hang too low, I believe.
- Custom Exhaust, don't believe I'll find one that bolts up.
- Cross-drilled rotors; paint calipers and rear drums with Duplicolor silver paint kit
- New brake pads. Bleed lines, new fluid.

4. If I have the money: Set of Mugen MR5's on some hot and sticky tires. I'll wait for a good set. It REALLY needs them, and the drop, of
course!

5. Go BIG PIMPIN' around town.

So, for this summer, basically, make it look as fresh as possible. Then, start the LONG quest of making more power. We'll see how this will turn out. Thanks for looking!

Baby soon on the way!!! My wife just hit her due-date today! SOOO excited. I'll post pics of little Ellie, once she enters the world.

That being said, it will probably be around mid-June when I begin working like CRAZY on this. It will be a fast build, once I start. So, please check back often this summer. Thanks for looking!:D

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've fallen for these cars as well. I like the 88-91 body style better though. One day I'd like to completely gut it down and remove all rust, repaint it, nice motor the list goes on. First Wagovan build I've seen on this site, it's going to be a good one.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
More pics,
I'm probably just going to gank this "cool vanilla" color of the new Chrysler Aspen's. I valet'd one of these last weekend. It's exactly the hue I've been looking forward. Staight-forward cream, with no pearls. Let me know what you think...

Dang it! Just go to chrysler.com, go to the aspen, select "cool vanilla" for now. ImageShack still sucking!!

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In my opinion wagons don't look good in white. White isn't an oldschool color in my opinion really.

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love wagonvans... my first car ever

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
In my opinion wagons don't look good in white. White isn't an oldschool color in my opinion really.
I agree. This is a very "off-white" cream. Not stark, "jdm-championship" white.

I'll do an artistic rendering/illustration soon to show my full idea for the exterior.

Ominous G2

ClubIntegra.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hope so, I was picturing the ricey white accent paint.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this is the best buildup of the Wagovan I've seen:

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Why not throw a nice turbo on the D15? Or rebuild the D15?

It's a good project. I just think instead of Mugen rims right now, get this thing looking and moving fast.