1987 RT-AWD WAGOVAN build!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn thats a sick wheel
Thanks man! I watched one just like this get away from me on Ebay about three weeks ago. I love this style, and that was the first time I had seen this wheel listed. I knew it would be perfect for the interior of my Wagovan build, as I want to create a luxury cabin, but w/ some attitude. I saw this one last week and was determined not to let it get away this time!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Link?

Wheel looks good. Supercharger would be best for auto-x.
I agree Alex, and I would rather go that route, even if it meant a little less power.

Then again though, it would be pretty sweet to turbo charge it, and make it a drag sleeper on the streets. I would personally beat my car unrecognizable with a sledge hammer if it got beat by a '87 Wagovan!

Below is a link to my previous EK hatch build thread.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=133726

peace

maddogg

heavy right
5+ Year Member
Thanks man! I watched one just like this get away from me on Ebay about three weeks ago. I love this style, and that was the first time I had seen this wheel listed. I knew it would be perfect for the interior of my Wagovan build, as I want to create a luxury cabin, but w/ some attitude. I saw this one last week and was determined not to let it get away this time!
it definatly goes with the look your trying to get

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Very clean EK, can't wait to see a wagon this clean. I was just browsin' www.hondacivicwagon.com there's a ton of clean wagons on there. Mostly all 88-91 though.
Yeah, I know. I've been looking all over for some clean 84-87 wagon builds. There really is none out there on all of the internets. There was a guy who had a wagon themed "Wagon Attack" who turbo'd a 87 Wag, I believe, a red one. It's pretty sweet. However, he focused mainly on performance, and almost seemed to present the whole thing as kind of an ironic joke. At the time of his build, this made sense, as everyone in the "scene" was building 90+ model cars a few years ago. Now, people are starting to look more towards retro builds, and are starting to take the older chassis's more seriously, as restorations, etc...

I'm going to take this build VERY seriously, and try to make every aspect of this car, both mechanically and aesthetically, as fresh as possible. I'm just running into a wall with the research side of things. I'm awaiting the webmasters at hondacivicwagon.com to respond and approve my registartion there. I'm sure they can give me some great answers once I get onboard. I need to do the same at redpepperracing.com. These two memberships should help me get the ball rolling, especially with the performance side of things. Questions like:

How do you lower the 84-87 wags, and what about fabbing a performance exhaust?

Well see...

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know jackson racing sells a supercharger for the zc and im like 99% positive the im bolt patterns are the same so im sayin you can def go the sc route

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Suspension and all that for 84-87 Wagons is different from EF chassis from what I know. There's a way to do it, but it's a lot harder than on a 88-91 Wagon as they have same suspension as EF's. Definitely look into this aspect before moving on with the build.

Looks like I'm going to pick and pull Saturday, you want me to get those parts for you?

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Suspension and all that for 84-87 Wagons is different from EF chassis from what I know. There's a way to do it, but it's a lot harder than on a 88-91 Wagon as they have same suspension as EF's. Definitely look into this aspect before moving on with the build.

Looks like I'm going to pick and pull Saturday, you want me to get those parts for you?
Pull-a-part this weekend would be AWESOME! Check your PM's, got you some detailed instructions there.
This guy is THE MAN peeps!!!!!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been gone for quite a few days, and I'm back with a REALLY BIG update! .....

Introducing our first child,

Miss Eleanor Claire Taylor
Born June 11th, 2008; circa 10:45pm eastern time
6 lbs. 2 ounces; 19 inches

Here we are about to leave the hospital. She's all loaded up in her new car seat!

...and here she is at home, happy and content on her bouncer.

She is a very healthy and peaceful baby. We are so blessed and grateful!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks to the help of grandparents and family, we have settled in quickly with Eleanor, and things are starting to feel more comfortable.

I asked Leanna if I could go ahead and start working on the Wago, and she was very cool about it.

So, off we go with Stage 1: Getting the Wagovan and it's little D15 in top mechanical condition again.

I will be needing this engine for a little while, so we need to get the car right. A little trip to Advanced, and we are ready to get this engine back in shape. I bought...pretty much everything.

New Stuff:

I'm going to try to get a lot of tune-up work done this afternoon, weather and time providing. Ellie comes first now, so we will see.

The plan is to get all installed today and tomorrow, and then clean the engine on Tuesday, with:
(1) New crinkle black paint on the valve cover,
(2) Semi-black paint on the air filter and timing belt housings, and
(3) Fresh grey paint for the block and exhaust manifold cover.

* I also bought a new grounding cable/wire for the valve cover, stainless steel braided.
* Password JDM owes me a $20 credit for sending me a "less than perfect" carbon/kevlar spark plug
cover for the EK. I'm going to use that credit towards a JDM Type R oil cap. The above things should
really freshen up the bay, without looking to fancy.

So, for reference sake, here's a before pic of the bay:

I'll post pics around mid-week of the rest of the process.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like your display in the back of the minivan, haha. While you're getting the engine back in shape maybe seafoam it. I've heard nothing but good reviews if you need to clean your motor out internally.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like your display in the back of the minivan, haha. While you're getting the engine back in shape maybe seafoam it. I've heard nothing but good reviews if you need to clean your motor out internally.
Ha! It's not a minivan, it's an Nissan Xterra! Way cooler man! You will NEVER catch us toting our kids around in a minivan!

I'm going to get some of this SeaFoam stuff later on this week. Thanks for the great tip Alex!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Small update:

Just got in from changing out the spark plugs, cap, button, and air filter. The air filter was a mess. The battery terminals also got a good Pepsi and brush scrubbing.

The spark plugs: Wow. Thats all I have got to say. Two out of the four looked like they had not been changed since the vehicle left the lot back in '87. I'll post pics later. This concerns me. it's a miracle the engine is still running!

Even after just this little amount of maintenance the engine behaved A LOT better! I'm still having fuel delivery problems. I suspect its a bad fuel pump. I'm going to change out the primary and secondary fuel filters first, and then see what I've got.

Can someone comment on the piece that SHOULD be coming off to the left of my air filter box. Whats the name of this piece? I know it routes to the left of the battery. Also, how important is it? (I know it's important, or Honda would not have put it on the engine. But, is it safe to run this car without it?)