1987 RT-AWD WAGOVAN build!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
All right, well, update:

Delays! When I bought this car, I didn't know that this engine was in as bad of a shape as it is.

Working on this car reminds me of that gopher and mallet game from the arcade when we were kids. As soon as I knock down one problem, another problem pops up!

I fixed the primary and secondary fuel filters, replaced the fuel pump, plugged in some loose electrical connectors, replaced the radiator hoses and added new coolant. That got it running a lot more smoothly, though their is still some fuel problems at idle. I think it's the O2 sensors, which I will replace soon.

So, I got all of that replaced. Then, the car wouldn't turn over! Turns out that the battery was totally drained. I had the battery tested, and it came up as being good, and not needing replacement. So that tells me it's probably one of two things: (1) more than likely, its the alternator; or (2) a bad starter, or both. I have ALWAYS had bad luck with these two items on any car that I own. I'm probably just going to replace both of them for peace of mind, along with the O2 sensors, and call it a day.

Either way, I'd rather be cleaning the bay and the interior right now. I've also dropped about $250 in engine parts for an engine I really don't like anyway. Man, theirs like 250 vacuum hoses on this bad boy! I'm sure several are all rotted up, though I'll NEVER find them! Anyway, as soon as I get the engine mended up, and running well consistently, I'll move onwards. Hopefully I'll get started on interior restoration and have some pics soon. I'll keep you updated as I make progress.

honda22

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bad luck eh?
sounds like alot of work - stick to it

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, Update:

I was watching the baby tonight so that my wife could get some sleep. I decided to do a little artistic rendering of the exterior of the Wagovan. I wanted to make sure that what I had in my head (visually) was going to work, before I started on the bulk of the work. So, this is what I have come up with...

Before:

and

After:

After putting it down on paper, I still feel pretty comfortable about my vision for this build. Let me know what you guys think. I tried to use the water-color pencils to get the exterior color as close to that Chrysler "Cool Vanilla" as I could. But, this should give you a general idea of how I hope this thing will look.

I am currently in the process of trying to secure some 84-85 JDM Shuttle black-housing, recessed headlights, tinted corners, as well as side markers, from a guy in the Netherlands. He has some rain-guards for the windows as well. I tried to illustrate all of these things in the drawing.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Parts Update:

These came in today. Only one more interior piece needed: Mugen Pedals. Just waiting for a good deal on a used set of these. PM me if you have, or know of, some for sale!

And here's the whole set of mahogany interior goodies together....

I also picked up the following:

a MINT condition '87 Civic Wagon manual. It was a closeout item from a Honda dealership on Ebay.

a complete part list for my car from Honda, with original Honda part #'s. Very cool, and useful.

...and a neat little 80's magazine add clipping that a guy was selling on Ebay.

Mechanical Update: Advanced Auto slow charge tested the battery, and it tested good. I'm going to go ahead and change out the Alternator and Starter, a couple of fuel lines in the bay, change the oil, run SeaFoam (thanks for the tip Alex!), and change out the brake shoes in the rear on Sunday or Monday.

I hope that this will take care of the majority of the mechanical issues. Then I'll finish cleaning up the bay, and begin interior restoration pronto.

I hope that everyone is doing well. I'll keep posting progress and photos soon. Thanks for looking!

honda22

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
steering wheel looks sweet - same with ebrake and shift knob
im soo sure u bought a used page from amagazine lol

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love the Nardi wheel combo, keep up the good work.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've never seen a wood package I liked, so I'm curious how this will all look together!

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Personally I think the offwhite with a red pinstripe is going to look off, nevertheless oldschool though.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've never seen a wood package I liked, so I'm curious how this will all look together!
Yeah, I just felt that it would suit this 2-color earth tone interior well. Well see. I hope I won't have major problems getting the shifter and e-brake knobs to mount up.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Personally I think the offwhite with a red pinstripe is going to look off, nevertheless oldschool though.
Yeah, off-ly hot!

J/K. We'll, it will be different, but if you think it looks Oldschool, then I'm happy with that. I want this thing to SCREAM old school. It's pretty much going to look like the illustration though. Well see how it looks in person.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
steering wheel looks sweet - same with ebrake and shift knob
im soo sure u bought a used page from amagazine lol
Yeah, he got me for like $4.50. I just couldn't resist! I bet you this guy is making BANK on Ebay, one little old school clip-out at a time!

I love the Nardi wheel combo, keep up the good work.
Thanks brother! I can't wait to install them on the fresh interior. Hopefully soon.

matttitaly8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damn man got your work cut out for ya. And congrats on the baby. Cant wait to see some progress. I want a wago so bad. And yea I would second the white with the red pin stripe. Looks so fresh. Good luck!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry I have not updated in a while, but progress HAS been made. I made a request to our local Pull-a-part for a brown Civic wagon, and they actually got me one!

So, I quickly ran down there, and snagged the following parts, as mine were either missing, or imperfect in some sort of way:

-That plastic trim piece on the drivers side rear window! YES!!!!!!
-The side molding piece for the passenger front door
- The coin holder from the dash
- The cigarette lighter
- The intake tube for the engine bay
- A fuse box cover for the engine bay
- Rear hatch dome light/unit
- New interior floor plastic pieces for front seats, as both of mine were cracked
- Hatch support shocks (mine were blown)
- 3 out of 4 of the original Honda mats
- The OEM rear speaker panels and OEM honda speakers; I didn't have these at all, I thought my car didn't come with rear speakers, so I'm very excited about this!
- A fresher "H" emblem for the rear hatch
- and a few other misc. items, I'm sure I'm forgetting something

...and the best part, all for $27 and about two hours worth of elbow grease! Pull-a-part FTW!!

Yeah, me happy! Now, all I need is a header panel, and I'll be good to go. Everything else is fresh.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Also, the engine is almost done mechanically, just need to finish up a couple more things, and then I'll start painting and detailing things. Maybe two more weeks on this, then I'll start on the interior, which, now, should come out bomb-diggidy. Hopefully.