1990 Civic Won't Start

fabled523

The weather where I live has gotten fairly cold and my car was starting to have problems starting (slow weak crank).

After a few days of the car turning over progressively slower and weaker eventually the car wouldn't turn over at all. I would hear this pulsing sound (sounded like electricity was flowing) when turning the ignition but I didn't hear any clicking sounds.

Figuring the problem was the starter anyway I replaced it but encountered a huge problem. The starter was spinning when connected to power even without the ignition on or even the key in the ignition at all

After doing a little digging I figured that the new starter had a faulty solenoid and so I exchanged it.

After installing the second new starter the same thing happens!

The instructions that came with the starter say that the solenoid cap can be damaged if the positive cable is put on too tight but the first new starter was not that bad and I made extra sure that the second was fairly loose (within reason).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

daperez13

Respected
Did you have the starter and battery tested before replacing? There are a few DIY troubleshooting videos on YouTube you could have looked up prior to purchasing a new starer. I believe the noise you might have been hearing was the fuel pump priming; your instrument lighting probably also came on but the battery was too weak to crank the starter.

Based on the progressive weaker starter, my guess would have been the battery. Verify all your grounds and make sure all your connections are nice, clean and tight.

As far as the starter, check your connections. You probably have your positive lead on the wrong post.