1990 Hatch lift struts

rjohnston79

5+ Year Member
Has anyone had to change out the gas struts that support the rear hatch? I cant figure out how to get the stock strut to release from the mount studs. The studs need to be used with the new struts...

jakeshatchzc

5+ Year Member
i just had to do this last december and im 80% sure that you need new studs. they should have came with ur new struts but make sure they didnt fall out of the package ( it happend to me and i just returnd it and said they didnt come with them hehe)

sloth_civic

5+ Year Member
i think it cheaper to get the struts gas replaced/refilled, i have to get mine done, they wont hold up

jakeshatchzc

5+ Year Member
i hear ya bro that hatch it a b***h to hold up when ur loading stuff in. Just dont prop it up with a broom stick and accidentally kick it over. it will give you the wost headache you have ever experienced ( trust me lol ).

but as far as refilling them i have no idea. my guess is they would not hold up too great but thats just my 2 cents

Scrpn17w

Si wannabe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got a whole new set for about $30.

As for removing the studs from the old ones: First unscrew one of the studs and then see about prying the other one off using the old strut as a lever. Then just screw the one stud back in and do the same thing. That is if your new struts don't already have studs with them.

sloth_civic

5+ Year Member
i hear ya bro that hatch it a b***h to hold up when ur loading stuff in. Just dont prop it up with a broom stick and accidentally kick it over. it will give you the wost headache you have ever experienced ( trust me lol ).

but as far as refilling them i have no idea. my guess is they would not hold up too great but thats just my 2 cents
yea i see what ya mean about refill, i got mine done a few hours ago and it does hold up but its not strong.. like it feels like its gonna fall.. im gonna buy new ones i think