1990 Honda Civic Lx lacking in power

fckncarlos

When I go to do a pull in a d15b I feel like like car lacks in power and during acceleration the car sometimes back fires out the exhaust, right now its basically a straight pipe because It has this really ugly annoying muffler.
And sometimes during normal driving the car will just die out of no where and it takes a few tries to get it running and i have to rev it all the way for a bit so the car will stay on, and also the rpm gauge is all over the place, it keeps jumping up and down.
I just recently did a Oil change, changed the spark plugs and wires

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Sounds like the motor is beat to hell. How many miles on it?

fckncarlos

Sounds like the motor is beat to hell. How many miles on it?
only 165k
UPDATE: I went to visit my girlfriend and on the way there it was fine but 3/4 of the way there the car was struggling and dies a lot easier, i have to force the car to go and i was also forces to take the car in 2nd gear the rest of the way going 50mph so it wouldnt die on me. Anyone know the location of the ECU/ECM? Car again is a 1990 Civic lx sedan

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Same place as any other honda, passenger side kick panel. Sounds like you have an electrical issue to me. First thing to do is stop driving the s*** out of it. On a hunch have you checked your distributor?

fckncarlos

I just recently bought the car so it was runing pretty good before. And again i was forced to drive it in 2nd or the car would die and id be forced to leave it on th side of the road , and i had no phone on me so i couldt contact anyone so i just took it straight to my girlfriends house

well the car is currently at my house now and i finally found the ecu. and its throwing for different codes : 1, 10, 14, 15 i havent checked what they mean though. At first i was thinking the timing may be off, the dizzy, injectors or the fuel pump. what should i check for in the dizzy though?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1 - Oxygen content
10 - IAT faulty
14 - IAC faulty
15 - Ignition output signal fault

I would suggest you stop driving it until you get them fixed. The solution to the problem is not revving it up. That isn't normal. Keep pushing it like that and you won't have a car at all...

fckncarlos

thanks for the codes lethal6, very much appriciated. ive only drivin th car maybe 44 miles. 20 on getting home when i bought it and 24 after getting tabs and oil change plugs an wires. so would sensors need to be replaced with some of those codes are throwing or what would i need to do? i really dont know what it means by some of those codes. sorry im pretty new at this, i just know the some of the basics really. Thanks again everyone for your help.

98ej8

I LOVE MY GIRLFRIEND
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If its running on a straight exhaust like you say then it has no back pressure which would also cause no power on accel.

fckncarlos

Update: I reset my ECU and only codes 10 and 14 were showing up. So today I decided to do a little more research and found out I could clean my IAC valve and popped that back in reset the ecu and only 10 shows now. Be back after I replace the IAT sensor and put a stock muffler on. Thanks again everyone for you help, very much appreciated