1991 Honda Civic DX - no dash lights!!!

joejoe3

5+ Year Member
I bought a 91 civic dx sedan as a winter car, the car was previously stolen and recovered before, so the interior isn't in the greatest shape.

I am sure I can fix her up after a visit to the local junk yard, but there's a few tech questions I want to ask since I'm not too fimilar of this car.

Other than the dome light, the car currently has no interior lights (*dash board light, gauge cluster light, climate control light, automatic shifter light). It's a pain in the ass to drive at night with the dome light on!

Anyway, I pull the stereo out and the wiring is half ass done up. Duck tape and black tape everywhere. Now, if these wires aren't done up properly, is that what is causing the interior lights to not fuction? I check the fuse and it's fine.

It's just funny that on my RSX, even if the radio harness is unplug the dash lights still function properly... perhaps it's the design that's different.

I did some research on this site, there's a similar thread out there but with no answer. My tail lights are working but havn't check dimmer switch yet.
Any insights to help me solve this problem guys? Or know what's causing this?

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check dimmer switch. that would be a start, more than likely will solve it

EFcivic89

nOOb
5+ Year Member
I had this same problem with my old 2000 civic I had and I needed a new dimmer switch after I replaced that my dash lights worked again.

Mortvos

5+ Year Member
I bought a 91 civic dx sedan as a winter car, the car was previously stolen and recovered before, so the interior isn't in the greatest shape.

I am sure I can fix her up after a visit to the local junk yard, but there's a few tech questions I want to ask since I'm not too fimilar of this car.

Other than the dome light, the car currently has no interior lights (*dash board light, gauge cluster light, climate control light, automatic shifter light). It's a pain in the ass to drive at night with the dome light on!

Anyway, I pull the stereo out and the wiring is half ass done up. Duck tape and black tape everywhere. Now, if these wires aren't done up properly, is that what is causing the interior lights to not fuction? I check the fuse and it's fine.

It's just funny that on my RSX, even if the radio harness is unplug the dash lights still function properly... perhaps it's the design that's different.

I did some research on this site, there's a similar thread out there but with no answer. My tail lights are working but havn't check dimmer switch yet.
Any insights to help me solve this problem guys? Or know what's causing this?
damn, it's sad this is such a common problem.. I gotta get a new switch this weekend due to the same thing only my tail lights don't work either lol

joejoe3

5+ Year Member
so to replace the dimmer switch, does this switch has to be from honda? Or maybe auto value will have some?

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just go to a junk yard and grab one. thats all i did. i paid 2 dollars for mine.