1991 honda civic hb

robk66

5+ Year Member
i have a 1991 honda civic hb and im trying to change the altanter. i got it all unbolted i just cant seem to find where it comes out its so tight in there there no way for it to come out lol anyone know how to remove it? thanks

White90EF

===SwAp DeEz===
5+ Year Member
smack that s**t a few times lol.....

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 1991 honda civic hb and im trying to change the altanter. i got it all unbolted i just cant seem to find where it comes out its so tight in there there no way for it to come out lol anyone know how to remove it? thanks
you can either pull it out by the crank pulley, or pop the axle out and take it down through the bottom.

robk66

5+ Year Member
Its really tight when i go to take it out by the crank shaft pully do i have to remove the bracket that the alternator was mounted on? and if i pull the oil filter would in have enough room to come out? thanks

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its really tight when i go to take it out by the crank shaft pully do i have to remove the bracket that the alternator was mounted on? and if i pull the oil filter would in have enough room to come out? thanks
yes remove the lower bracket will help alot, you just have to turn it around a couple times to figure out how to get it out.

robk66

5+ Year Member
but do i have to remove the lower bracket? or will it come out with it sitll in just alot tighter? im laying on the ground in my drive way right now and its pretty cold lol so just wanna do it fast an easy lol

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but do i have to remove the lower bracket? or will it come out with it sitll in just alot tighter? im laying on the ground in my drive way right now and its pretty cold lol so just wanna do it fast an easy lol
its easier to remove the 3 bolts from the lower bracket to make more room, then to try to fight a long battle to get it around that bracket.

i should have made a "how-to" on removing alternators from 4th gens

robk66

5+ Year Member
lol ya really maybe. I just looked and i think theres only 2 bolts 2 14m i got the one off but the other one i cant get off for some reasone the wrench hits the bracket and dosnt go all the way down on socket. any ideas

robk66

5+ Year Member
ok well got like 6 inch of snow so i wont be laying on the ground doing it till it melts a bit or untill i get bored and ya im doing from the bottom. and i cant seem to get a socket on the one bolt for some reasone it hits the bracket any ideas?

Dennis Waller

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have found that the alternator can be removed from the back side of the engine if you first remove the oil filter.
Dennis Waller