1991 Honda civic vibrates at idle

honda11686

I have a 1991 honda civic DX Hatchback with a 1.5L engine. I have noticed lately that when I stop at a traffic signal, my engine vibrates. The car seems to idle fine and does not die (i do not have a tach to see if rpms are moving), however it still vibrates consistantly. Is this normal or is there something wrong? I have changed spark plugs, wires, distributer cap, and some vacuum hoses. Could I have something wrong with the fuel feed system? I also know that I have an exhaust leak in a joint, but i highly dought this would cause the engine to idle rough?

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
She old man mine does the same its no big deal prob wore out mounts

AH91

i have a 91 that does the same thing and the motor has just been recentyl rebuilt and continues to do it, i need to ask my mechanic cause fuel injector cleaner didnt do the job(strange)

RonJ

Banned
Definitely check the motor mounts - driver side, rear, transmission, and the two front torque mounts.

But first you need to hook up a tachometer to check whether the idle speed is low. What engine/transmission do you have?

Cuda1975

My Buddys 91 1.5 is doing the same thing. His mounts are totally shot, but i didn't think that was all of his issue. I gave him the timimg belt, water pump, tensioner and front motor mount w/inserts off mine that was fairly new to see if that would correct the problem and it did not. My only other suggestion to him was that the ecm was not operating within normal parameter. My 91 Si had a similar issue about 4 years ago and a new ecm corrected it. Good Luck!