1995 civic cx emission failed

mikeysalive

5+ Year Member
Ontario canada drive clean emission test failed.High NOx reading.Limit is 636 and the reading was 976(ppm)Can anyone offer some advice? All other readings passed with flying colours.I don't want to spend the hundred bucks on a diaognostic.Might have to though.I was told it could be the pcv or the egr.Hoping its the pcv.The egr is 450 bucks.I bought a new pcv, air filter and oil filter and oil.Anything else I should do? Rev the hell out of ot to blow the cat out? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Mike

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you could get a fuel system cleaner to, and maybe some fuel adative that cleans your exhaust system, i know if your catalytic converter aint working right that can mess up your emissions. you might as well pay the 100 bucks to get it checked, that'll point you to the problem instead of buying random small stuff to try and fix it.

mikeysalive

5+ Year Member
Oh...I did do a self diagnostic on the pcv I took it out and pinched the hose.No clicking sound from the little ball bearing inside which tells me its gummed up.Retest costs 17.50.

J_Uhrig87

bestofbothworlds
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah i hate changing the pcv valve, had to do it on a pickup i had a while back. at least you found the problem yourself, i had a mechanic friend of mine work on my car all day.
hopefully that'll fix it and you'll pass next time
gl

mikeysalive

5+ Year Member
I'm told by the parts guys that my engine doesn't have an egr valve.Only the vx model.Whew...relieved to hear that.I've changed the oil and filter, air filer, plugs,pcv valve, bought some of that stuff to put in the tank called "guaranteed to pass".Ran that for a week and gonna put another bottle in for another week before I get the retest.Really opened it up on the highway a few tiimes.Got it up to 170 kilometres and hour to blow out the cat, with no shakes ...relly smooth.Dunno what the rpm was but I think I could have went higher.I was very impressed.

95 EJ Coupe

Change the catalytic convertor and clean the throttle body. That's what I did and my passed the second time around after. It failed with about the same as yours and this worked. Is yours the original catalytic convertor on the car? 'Cause it will be blocked up with carbon.

mikeysalive

5+ Year Member
Cat is fairly new.I'm sure it not the cat because all other reading passed with flying colours.Only the NOx caME BACK HIGH.The pcv was gummed up when I tested it by pinching the hose.Car has no egr so I know its not the egr.Gonna get it tested again next week.Hope it passes.If it doesn't , I'll pay the $100. and get a complete diagnostic.