1995 honda civic ex auto transmission no response

Matthewpowdad

My son was driving this car the other day,he says car stalled,started right back up but had no tranny response in any forward or reverse gear.i have tested lock up solenoids and they are fine. Fluid level good and has no discolor or smell to it. Shift cable is good. My question is, is their anything else electrical I should look at? Can I check tranny pump pressure and if so where?

RonJ

Banned
Did you check whether one of the axles popped out of the differential?

With the transmission in drive and engine running, does the speedometer register speed when you rev the engine?

RonJ

Banned
Any transmission issues prior to this catastrophic event?

How old is the transmission fluid?

Any CEL codes?

Matthewpowdad

Also at idle engine revs slightly on its own like 500 rpms

No obvious illness in tranny,it was all at once and he doesn't remember hearing anything. No codes and don't know the age of oil he bought car last May so it very we'll could be in need of fresh

Last edited by a moderator:

RonJ

Banned
Also at idle engine revs slightly on its own like 500 rpms
This is likely a separate issue (dirty IACV and FITV).

No obvious illness in tranny,it was all at once and he doesn't remember hearing anything. No codes and don't know the age of oil he bought car last May so it very we'll could be in need of fresh
How do you know the shift cable is fine and adjusted correctly?

If the cable is fine, my suggestion is that you drain the old ATF and refill with a Honda-recommended ATF. Then check whether you can get the car to move at all in any gear. If not, try two more ATF drain-refill cycles with running the engine and shifting slowly through all the gears in between.

Attachments

Matthewpowdad

I will make sure of the cable and try the fluid. Thank you for your time.

Oil didn't do it.. Must be time for a transplant.

Matthewpowdad

Used tranny from "japan star". 90 day warranty.came with starter,torque converter,speed sensor. Matched their own price on a cheaper tranny. $250.00 works great.

Chelsifer

Hello this is my first time too this forum.
I have a question so here it goes. Recently I started experiencing my 1995 Honda Civic sedan (Automatic transmission) not shifting into 4th gear or the final gear. After the car heats up the car will not shift into 4th gear or last drive gear. the only thing I can do is down shift into 3rd gear. This make for an unpleasant highway experience!! Also there is no reverse gear after this happens? The speedometer is not working currently and I have replaced the speed sensor. Civic has 216K miles. The car is with a transmission expert and he cant figure it out too? :(

Thanks if any one could please help I would appreciate it.

Chelsifer

You are apparently using this^ term loosely.
Thank you for the info and the service manuals sites. Do you have any ideas what could be the problem? I'm about $1000.00 into the transmission guys. They still can figure this out. They replaced the transmission with a rebuilt transmission and it still seems to be doing the same thing. They have also replaced the computer and it still does the same thing. They tested the shift solenoid and it works. Any ideas would be helpful Thanks.

RonJ

Banned
Thank you for the info and the service manuals sites. Do you have any ideas what could be the problem? I'm about $1000.00 into the transmission guys. They still can figure this out. They replaced the transmission with a rebuilt transmission and it still seems to be doing the same thing. They have also replaced the computer and it still does the same thing. They tested the shift solenoid and it works. Any ideas would be helpful Thanks.
Is there any logical reason that you keep paying an incompetent shop NOT to fix your car?

Did you carefully read this entire thread?

Is the throttle cable properly adjusted to synchronize the engine and transmission?