1996 civic computer behind cup holders

Dalton sheets

I have a 1996 civic ex with a d16y8 5 speed power windows etc.
I took the center console apart the other day and I found a computer board thing with a couple connectors on it and it's about 7x7 inches or so idk.
I just feel like it should be in a plastic box or something. The previous owner had it wrapped in like plastic bag with electrical tape every which way lol. I just want to know what it is what it's supposed to look like.
This is my first post so I'm sorry if I'm being hard to read.

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 1996 civic ex with a d16y8 5 speed power windows etc.
I took the center console apart the other day and I found a computer board thing with a couple connectors on it and it's about 7x7 inches or so idk.
I just feel like it should be in a plastic box or something. The previous owner had it wrapped in like plastic bag with electrical tape every which way lol. I just want to know what it is what it's supposed to look like.
This is my first post so I'm sorry if I'm being hard to read.
Can you take a couple pictures of it and post them? It sounds like it might be an old alarm or something. Hopefully it's not the ECU.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The OBD1a ECU's (96-98) are oblong in shape. Something like 8x5 or so (I'm guessing here...nowhere near accurate...). There's no way the ECU is behind the cup holders, because the harness simply will not reach that far. It comes through the firewall behind the glove box, and straight down to the passenger side kick panel.

Only thing i can think of, is either an old alarm, or amp/radio related... But like others have stated, pics would do wonders.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Most likely it's the old radio to keep the factory keyless entry

Dalton sheets

image.jpeg

Connectors are green and white and the other green one was just laying there. Car was really unmolested when I got it so I'm lost with the craftmanship on it lol.
Is that a good picture?

Last edited by a moderator:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the pic, but...it's pretty useless... Unwrap it? lol

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree. That looks to be the keyless entry unit pulled out of the factory radio. I would personally unwrap it and consider protecting it another way because being wrapped in plastic must be insulating alot of heat, thus wearing it out fast.

Dalton sheets

Sorry for the late reply, it was the keyless entry unit. I went to the junk yard and pulled one with an enclosure yesterday.
Thanks for the help guys.