1996 Civic, reverse problem

daperez13

Respected
Hello Laura,

Please provide more information on the vehicle (e.g. engine, trans, mileage, etc.).

Also, please provide some background as to when and how the problem occurred. Keep it plain yet provide pertinent details.

lauralyra2003

Hello Laura,

Please provide more information on the vehicle (e.g. engine, trans, mileage, etc.).

Also, please provide some background as to when and how the problem occurred. Keep it plain yet provide pertinent details.
I don't know all that. Just bought it. Manual transmission. 126k miles

If it is manual tranny, check if you can go into reverse when engine is not running.

Tried that. Doesn't work either

Other 5 gears great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can try flushing the tranny fluid a couple of times to see if that happens to free up any heavy deposits obstructing the reverse gear but chances are that its shot and needs repair.

Krukowskid

If you cant go into reverse, even when engine is not running and all other gears are working fine it is something broken in your tranny it needs to be repaired or replaced

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reverse problems can be tricky. Honda tranny's are notorious for having reverse issues.

Issue could be a few things. Definitely do what @HeX said first, and flush the tranny fluid. Don't just add fluid. Drain it, fill it with some crappy compatible MTF, drain it again, then fill with something good. I would recommend getting a magnetic drain plug too - it's better that any metal shavings wind up on the plug than back inside the tranny somewhere.

It's also common with some models, where the 4th and 5th gear synchros mushroom out over time, due to wear and tear. This can cause issues by getting in the way when shifting into reverse. You'll need to rebuild the transmission if this is the case. Judging by the fact that you can't get it into gear even when turned off, I'm thinking this may very well be the problem.

Try putting it into first, then clutch back in and try reverse.