1996 Coupe Reliable Build

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Picked up a 1996 Civic EX coupe.

IMAG2566 by hcw219, on Flickr

For $300 with alttle over 165k miles I was happy. Found her on craigslist with title solid civic with knocking motor lol. I thought man sounds great she ran up until I loaded her on the car trailer then the motor locked up (perfect timing because I REALLY didn't want to push it on) So for the time being without me getting it on my lift till I finish piecing my swap together I need a
1. Hood
2. Left front door
3.left front fender (all of these were damaged by the owners friend who thought he was scrapping it. So he decided to use a claw hammer to give it character. SMH
4. Headliner is hanging (may get it done in black with matching carpet)
5. Motor (RELIABLE N/A GSR)

Here is the first of many updates. Picked this up from Craigs

IMAG2598 by hcw219, on Flickr

IMAG2601 by hcw219, on Flickr
I have it all broken down for the machine shop.
I plan to do new valves, and new valve train.
Anyone have suggestions? recommendations? I was looking at Supertech, but after further research they seem to fail a bit more then others.

Last edited by a moderator:

tubbie

Very nice base! interested to see where this goes, tuned in for more pics =)

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have some more updates!! I'll upload some pictures when I get off tonight. Glad tubbie is at least interested, still hoping someone will give me some input on a valve train.

Picked this up from Craigs too lol. So im thinking I MAY upgrade rods. I do plan to do a full reseal and new w/p, oil p, new rings, hone it etc etc

IMAG2613 by hcw219, on Flickr

IMAG2614 by hcw219, on Flickr

The guy called me back and said he had a matching vin GSR hydro trans from the short block I just picked up so I turned around and got it. =)

IMAG2615 by hcw219, on Flickr
It needs a reseal BAD!! but I didn't feel any shaft play and he threw in a uncut harness so I was happy.

So for major items I need for the swap are
1. ECU
2. ITM don't know if I should just go find a OEM one or I should look around for like a SKUNK or some other aftermarket.
What do you guys think?
3. Shift linkage

When I complete these purchases I will put in a purchase to Majestic probably for some items.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What are you goals for the car? Drag? Auto X? Street? Stance?

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What are you goals for the car? Drag? Auto X? Street? Stance?
Reliable but fun daily. Stance is out of the question Baltimore's streets are crazy. Maybe down the road AutoX. Hp goals are not very much I plan on doing some minor work with the head like port and gasket match, the block is up in the air I was thinking of upgrading rods just incase I wanted to boost down the road.

Dominick where in PA are you located?

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you took the head off without taking the timing belt off?

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh I was going to say... your doing it wrong LoL.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Reliable but fun daily. Stance is out of the question Baltimore's streets are crazy. Maybe down the road AutoX. Hp goals are not very much I plan on doing some minor work with the head like port and gasket match, the block is up in the air I was thinking of upgrading rods just incase I wanted to boost down the road.
Then maybe a relatively calm N/A build is in your future.

Dominick where in PA are you located?
Bucks County. Around Philly.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks like a good start. That's the route I wanna go with my integra, GSR swap daily with a bit of power.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looking forward to this build. Can't suggest on valves, since I've never purchased any valvetrain parts (other than replacement valve seals for a z6 head, and that was oem). Good luck with this, looks like you're off to a great start

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice start! Should be able to build a nice car for really cheap!

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks like a good start. That's the route I wanna go with my integra, GSR swap daily with a bit of power.Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Thanks im just looking for something I can say I built and is fun without taking out a loan lol

looking forward to this build. Can't suggest on valves, since I've never purchased any valvetrain parts (other than replacement valve seals for a z6 head, and that was oem). Good luck with this, looks like you're off to a great start
Thanks im leaning towards OEM with like skunk titanium springs and keepers, friend from work wants me to look into a set of valves that begin with a F

Nice start! Should be able to build a nice car for really cheap!
Yea its a "Budget" build lol like everyone else's $300 for the car $150 for the head $400 for the short block $300 for the Trans free Harness. I feel like im doing pretty good. Around my area GSR swaps are on Craigslist starting around $2,200. So im below that.

Small update my buddy at work hooked me up.

IMAG2626 by hcw219, on Flickr

IMAG2625 by hcw219, on Flickr

Im not 100% if im going to use it yet, but its cool to have it. I like the cams cut out area.

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was bored so I snapped a few pictures before the snow hit.

IMAG2564 by hcw219, on Flickr

IMAG2565 by hcw219, on Flickr

Here is this sweet REX that was at the guys shop I bought my short block from.

IMAG2611 by hcw219, on Flickr

Alittle side project, putting KONI/TEIN setup on a friends TSX at my shop. He is also doing a Type S rear sway bar.

IMAG2628 by hcw219, on Flickr
Goodies!!!

IMAG2627 by hcw219, on Flickr

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Haven't updated in awhile, snow has really put a delay on everything. Plus when ever I find the time and funds to do things work gets crazy and all the lifts get tied up. Guess I just have to wait my turn, and take the good with the bad.

On another note ive really been looking at a Ferra valve train setup. Anybody has experience with them??

antie22

i
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome build, in for future updates

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Awesome build, in for future updates

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Thanks man, once this snow gives up ill get her in and tear out the Y8. Might be sooner then I thought my daily ej6 got rear ended the other morning UGH!!

civic21911

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So since my daily is beat up now from the accident iv'e had to put the build on pause. Im looking into a CRV that came into work with a blown motor that im looking into purchasing for a AWD vehicle. I think I may get it and just buy a K24 for it. and call it a day. I do plan on lowering the coupe on FF1's, plus with my night job I dont want to drive my coupe. (DELIVERY DRIVER) lol people ask me to meet in some weird places. So I figure a awd CRV would be a nice thing to have for bad wheather and night job.