1997 Civic EX questions

ncegen

Hey everyone.
I have a 1997 (Oct 96 made) Civic EX.
I recently had to replace the front brake pads for the first time since I bought it and
the stock pads were way too big for the caliper. I parts guy had to match them and they matched a 1998 Acura Integra??? Not sure what to think about that.
I also had my distributor replaced and the speedsensor stopped working. Garage told me they had nothing to do with each other, which I kind of figured, but there where no problems before that. I removed the old one and there were no markings on it so I bought one off ebay using the vehicle finder. Got the new one and the arm where you bolt it to the motor is too short.
Called Honda and gave my VIN and they were no help.
Car has about 275,000 miles on it, not exactly sure since the odometer stopped working at 270,800.
Any help or point in the right direction for how to find the exact parts I need would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The motor and calipers stock? Possibly they typed in the wrong part number?

I removed the old one and there were no markings on it so I bought one off ebay using the vehicle finder. Got the new one and the arm where you bolt it to the motor is too short.
Distributor or speed sensor was too short?

ncegen

The motor and calipers stock? Possibly they typed in the wrong part number?

As far as I know everything is stock. I saw him bring up the numbers on the store computer by the car make/model and what he gave me was what was supposed to fit.
Just strange.

Distributor or speed sensor was too short?
New speed sensor I ordered looked exactly the same as what came out except for where the bolt arm is to bolt to the motor. The new one is shorter and does not line up with the bolt hole. Still trying to get in contact with the company I ordered it from.

ncegen

The speed sensor I bought was the Matsushita type. Apparently that's not the one I need. I believe there are only two types. 50% chance of getting it right...as usual, 100% wrong.

So here are the numbers stamped into the block D16Y8 2302118
Here are the numbers stickered to the trans housing S40-1327348
The only other number I can find on the trans is the VIN placard.
Any place I am missing trying to I.D. the trans?
Thanks

Last edited:

MichaelMcClernon

Thats the correct motor and tranny for the car. Make sure they arent giving you parts for a honda civic si for some reason. Because it sounds like they are giving you b series parts.

GSXR

it does sound like si, they are giving you the wrong part if a mod was not done on the breaking system

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats the correct motor and tranny for the car. Make sure they arent giving you parts for a honda civic si for some reason. Because it sounds like they are giving you b series parts.
B-series brake parts, where are you getting your info from?
It has nothing to do with the Si having a b-series motor.
96-00 Ex and 99-00 Si use the same pads and rotors.

GSXR

B-series brake parts, where are you getting your info from?
It has nothing to do with the Si having a b-series motor.
96-00 Ex and 99-00 Si use the same pads and rotors.
I have that car, I just did the breaks and they are larger than the "standard" ones, as you know the SI has more Hp so needed bigger rotors due to thus, also I have the shop manual it says there are two(2) different brake options.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have that car, I just did the breaks and they are larger than the "standard" ones, as you know the SI has more Hp so needed bigger rotors due to thus, also I have the shop manual it says there are two(2) different brake options.
You're wrong.

1st, the word is "BRAKES".

'96-'00 EX calipers and '99-'00 Si calipers are share the same part #.
CALIPER SUB-ASSY., R. FR. = 45018-S01-A02
CALIPER SUB-ASSY., L. FR. = 45019-S01-A02

Front disc are tshared between 96-00 Ex/Si and 94-01 Integra.

http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/faq-brake-system-differences-between-99-00-civic-ex-99-00-civic-si-ej8-vs-em1-conversio-1625394/

http://honda-tech.com/suspension-brakes-54/clearing-up-myth-gsr-brakes-vs-civic-ex-brakes-2764544/

Last edited: