1998 1.4 engine wont fire

N33D45P33D

5+ Year Member
Iv got a 1998 honda civic 3door hatchback.i drove it to the shops it was fine ( even though the petrol was running abit low) so i parked the car up and swithced the engine off went to the shops and when i came back to start the car it wouldnt fire up.so i got a perol canister and filled it up and when i tried to fire it up it started right away.as i drove about 600 yards the car started slowing down and every time i put my foot down on the accelarator it was like it was braking.it finaly slowed down and died since then it neva started.i can start it up with 'Easy Start' but it then dies shortly after. the fuel lines have been checked and the petrol is coming through the pipes.is there anything else it could be??

Thanks in advance.

RonJ

Banned
Iv got a 1998 honda civic 3door hatchback.i drove it to the shops it was fine ( even though the petrol was running abit low) so i parked the car up and swithced the engine off went to the shops and when i came back to start the car it wouldnt fire up.so i got a perol canister and filled it up and when i tried to fire it up it started right away.as i drove about 600 yards the car started slowing down and every time i put my foot down on the accelarator it was like it was braking.it finaly slowed down and died since then it neva started.i can start it up with 'Easy Start' but it then dies shortly after. the fuel lines have been checked and the petrol is coming through the pipes.is there anything else it could be??

Thanks in advance.
Have you changed the fuel filter on the firewall? It may be clogged with gunk pulled up from the bottom of your gas tank.

N33D45P33D

5+ Year Member
i've checked the fuel filter and itz fine iv also taken the fuel line out to see if the fuel is getting into the fuel line and to the injectors thats ok too.could it be the fuel injectors??

RonJ

Banned
When you turn the key to ON(II), can you hear the low humming sound of the fuel pump priming for 2 seconds?

RonJ

Banned
How did you know the fuel filter was fine? You might just want to replace it because it's relatively inexpensive.

Do all fuel injector connectors have battery voltage with the key in ON(II)?

Any CEL codes?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
then its not injectors unless they arent spraying enough, but it sounds like something else to me..

N33D45P33D

5+ Year Member
the reason i say that the fuel filter is fine because there is fuel coming out of it.the injectors have got current in em as the clips are fastend ??

RonJ

Banned
the reason i say that the fuel filter is fine because there is fuel coming out of it.
You may have fuel flow from the filter but if the flow is restricted, then there may be insufficient pressure for the injectors. I recommend that you simply replace the inexpensive filter and go from there. It may fix the problem.

the injectors have got current in em as the clips are fastend ??
Unplug the injector connectors and measure voltage at the Yel/Blk wire terminal of the free connector with the key in ON(II). You should measure battery voltage.

N33D45P33D

5+ Year Member
iv changed the fuel filter bit still...i t dont start so does that mean it's the fuel injectors???

N33D45P33D

5+ Year Member
iv changed the fuel filter bit still...i t dont start so does that mean it's the fuel injectors???

N33D45P33D

5+ Year Member
am assuming that there is as iv had no electrical problems with it before.how would i make sure that there is current coming to them jus to be sure