1998 Civic Ex Intermittent no start

Gunsbee

First thing in the morning the car will start fine. After I drive it and shut it off It will not restart until the next morning. It just cranks with no start. Will backfire every so often while cranking and no start. I have checked the timing and its good. I adjusted the valves. Has spark on all cylinders and good compression on all cylinders. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic

We need some more info. What motor? Stock? Is the check engine light on?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, once you provide the obviously needed basic info, explain when was the last time you changed the distributor cap, rotor, spark wires & plugs.

Gunsbee

its a 98 civic. All stock. No check engine light. Now it seems to be randomly not firing when starting. Does it hot and cold but then sometimes won't do it at all.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, once you provide the obviously needed basic info, explain when was the last time you changed the distributor cap, rotor, spark wires & plugs.
What about all this, along with the transmission type?

Gunsbee

all replaced less than 20K ago. ex is trim and manual trans. When it starts it runs fine but when it doesn't I pull a plug and they're fuel soaked.

daperez13

Respected
That's because the pump continues to send fuel to the injectors as you keep cranking but since the fuel does not ignite, they come out soaked.

Did you replace all of the components that HeX mentioned above? Genuine Honda or aftermarket? What's the compression on each cylinder? How did you verify spark? Check your main relay, make sure all soldering points are solid.