1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

1998 Honda Civic clutch pedal sensor not working. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by montana@westva, Jan 11, 2018.

1. montana@westva

montana@westva New Member

I just bought the car. I drive an hour one way to work everyday. I’m just trying to get cruise control functioning. So seemingly the clutch pedal sensor was bad. Also, there is a clip in the same area of the pedal switch. It’s jumped. And if it’s not jumped the car won’t start. But it’s not the pedal switch clip. I bought a new one and the rubber pad that goes on the pedal itself. Well it’s still not working. My thought it whatever is jumped needs to be put back where it goes. But I can’t find anything on what it is.

2. boofoo

boofoo Respected Registered VIP

The clutch pedal has two separate switches. The upper switch is for the starter whereas the lower switch is for CC.

3. montana@westva

Ah. That makes sense. Are they both 10mm do you know? The one I bought was a starter one. But I put it in the bottom. Are they the same switches? Just with different purposes?

4. montana@westva

Never mind. That was a dumb question. So cc fuse is good. Clutch pedal switch is good. I also switched the button. Leaving me with the box or the motor in the bay. I can’t even get the light In the cluster to turn on with the button.

5. boofoo

The two clutch pedal switches are completely different — they are not interchangeable.

Did you also test the brake light switch?

6. civteck

civteck Respected

I would think one is n/o and other n/c, never had a civic with power anything so along for the ride on this 1..

Sent from my boujea ass phone

7. montana@westva

I didn’t test the brake light switch but the brake lights work. So if the brake light is bad in theory if I un plug it and try to engage cruise that would tell me?

8. boofoo

pic_20.jpg

Use a multimeter to do the tests below.

Unplug the 14-pin connector of the CC unit.
    1. Measure voltage to body ground at connector pin 5 both with and without the brake pedal depressed.
    2. Measure voltage to body ground at connector pin 2 both with and without the brake pedal depressed.
    3. Measure continuity to body ground at connector pin 14 both with and without the clutch pedal depressed.
    Post the readings for each test.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. montana@westva

i haven't gotten a chance to do that. but i did a little bit more of eliminating problems today. i know for sure its neither of the clutch pedal sensors. i tested both of those. swapped the cruise control switches over a few times, checked and rechecked the fuse. checked the plug on the actuator, checked all the grounds at the front of the car harnesses that went into the cruise harness. i with everything that ive done i still cannot even get the light to come on on the dash so im thinking that there has to be an issue with the "cruise control ecu" if you will. im going to try to make it to a salvage yard this weekend or this coming monday. im just going to pull an actuator as well just so i have it.

10. boofoo

Do the electrical tests I suggested in post #8! They will tell you whether the brake and clutch pedal signals reach the CC ECU.

Randomly replacing parts and visually inspecting some connectors is a highly ineffective method to pinpoint the issue.

You mentioned testing the lower clutch switch. Describe your test results in detail.

Did you test the two CC pins in the brake switch?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 2:39 PM
  11. boofoo

:thumbup:

12. boofoo

Nope

pic_22.jpg
    CC.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 3:47 PM