1999 Civic EX D16y8 jerking/bucking issues

mcnabb_nfl

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, I have 1999 Civic EX with around 208,000 miles, engine wise its 100% stock. Recently I've been been having an issue that i cant seem to figure out!The car will start up normally and idle fine until its gets up to temperature, then usually when Im stopped at a stoplight the RPM's will slowly climb to around 1300. At this point the car becomes very jerking when accelerating and letting off the gas, even the slightest input into the gas pedal will cause a more than normal jerk. if the car is not moving and I give a low amount of throttle (just revving, not moving), the rpms rise up until 1600-1800 and then just hesitiate/surge until I give it alot more throttle to get past that point. The CEL is on as well. its throwing P0505, P0430, and P0420. Any help appreciated, im tired of being jerked around! If you need more details let me know!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You need to troubleshoot. The surging and bad idle can be caused by multiple things. NONE of which you give direction towards as there is no steps taken to troubleshoot currently in your thread.

P0505 can be caused by bad IACV, vacuum leak, someone messing around with or poorly adjusted idle speed, bad ECT, or bad TPS.

P0430 can be a bad cat, obstructed exhaust pipe, intake leak, bad fuel injectors, bad spark plugs, bad distributor/coil/rotor, bad wires, or bad ECU.

P0420 *see P0430* This is the same code just for bank 1 instead of 2.

My suggestion. Do a full tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, run some GOOD fuel system cleaner through (something like BG44K), air filter, thoroughly check for vacuum leaks, check and clean the IACV, clear the codes then try again.