1999 civic ex oilpan

Marc3419

I removed my oilpan and saw that it has cracks on the inside that you can actually feel and I was going to just replace it but, I don't have $80 to replace a oilpan for a engine with vtec. I can by non-vtec for around $30 but, I was told that you can't use a non-vtec pan on a vtec but, can someone tell me what the difference is? 20170826_180208.jpg

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I think you have to change the pickup tube but I am not really sure. You should be able to google that info, it should be on this forum or HondaTech. Also, if the internal cracks don't extend to the exterior then I wouldn't worry about it. My oil pan was cracked all the way through, so I bought another aluminum one on RockAuto for $60 I think.

Marc3419

Did the oil pan collide with something? Do any of the internal cracks extend to the exterior?
There are some one the exterior so I decided why risk it and just buy a new one. I have no idea what the previous owner did but, I do know the owner wasn't keeping up with the maintenance

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From looking this up and researching it, d16y8 (vtec) comes with a aluminum oil pan the y7 (non vtec) comes with a stamped steel.