1999 Civic HX Tranny problem

gregphilley

Hi......I'm new to the group and I got a favor to ask......

I bought a 1999 Civic HX automatic with the CVT tranny in it for $500......and yes, it's a salvage title.......BUT.....before I bought it, when you put it into gear and tried driving it, it seemed like you had to gas it a bit and then it would grab making the tires chirp......but it would still go.........after buying it, the tranny finally gave way and I was stranded on the freeway and got towed back home........here's my question......

I am NOT totally sure it's the CVT tranny even though it won't go into ANY gear right now, but to get as far as we did, we had to turn off the car and restart it to get it into gear..........I've read on some forum that the transmission solenoids MIGHT be the culprit........if so, WHERE ARE THEY???......internal to the tranny or external???.........am I right on this diagnosis or do I need to bite the bullet and replace the tranny anyways????........I'm asking because I don't wanna spend $350 for a tranny even though I'll do the labor myself (and yes, I know you need to pull the axle to do this via YouTube)........but......I'm not afraid of twisting a wrench, but I'm on a budget and I want to get this thing back and road-worthy as cheap and properly done as possible........

Any thoughts???

1999 Civic HX Automatic 1.6

Please help....

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi and welcome to the club! I'm sorry I can't be much help, you'll find tons of help on here though, your post should give enough info for someone to get you started.

Enjoy your stay!