1999 Civic LX (burst upper radiator hose)

tress777

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. I need some expert knowledge. Here is the deal:

• About a few weeks ago, my car started smoking shortly after I exited the Interstate
  • I tried to add coolant to the radiator, but it was seeping out at the top
  • I noticed that the plastic part of the radiator was sort of melted so as to expose a tiny opening through which the coolant was coming out
  • I went ahead and replaced the radiator, lower hose, and both ATF cooler hoses. I did not replace the upper hose, as it seemed to be okay.
  • After driving the car for about a week, I noticed the temperature gauge starting to rise. I checked under the hood, and the overflow was bone dry, but the radiator was full.
  • I noticed some dried, what seemed to be, coolant on the engine just below upper hose.
  • Today, as I was driving to work, the gauge was starting to approach the red. I pulled off the road, and saw that the upper hose was split near where it connects to the engine.
My questions are:
  • What would be the likely cause of the upper hose bursting?
  • I plan on replacing the hose and checking the pressure. Besides that, what other action would you recommend?
Thanks so much for your help. I look forward to your responses.

RonJ

Banned
After you replaced the radiator, lower hose, and both ATF cooler hoses, did you bleed the cooling system (see below)?

I recommend that you (obviously) replace the upper hose and then properly bleed the cooling system. Then go from there.

--------------

This procedure may take 20-30 minutes:

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
x2 w ronj
also you may have a clog. i've seen some nasty residue in overflow tanks when coolant hasnt been flushed/changed.....maybe you had a clot.