1999 Hatch

Bumble78

Just picked up a car for my daughters to drive to and from school. Not planning on doing much to it as we will only have it for a couple of years, but I will be changing the head unit soon as I can get the dash apart. I may throw some cheep rims and coils on it just to set it apart from the others around here. Does anyone know if there are major differences between JDM and the U.S. Version, I am thinking of buying a manual but I don't read Japanese so would need one in English. I am sure I will have more questions but for now just wanted to say hi.

Attachments

Last edited:

pantyraid

=^.^=
I have no clue what the differences between us and jdm are (I'm sure lots of other much more knowledgeable people on here will be able to tell you though), as for the manual I downloaded mine for free from a site that had a whole bunch of them, of course now that I'm looking for it I can't find it but I did find this post on here:

I have a pdf of the 1996-2000 Honda Civic Factory Service Manual. I know a lot of people have it already but some still dont.
**** File size is about 70 MB *****
GO here to download ----->https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_OqXR7rGeSpYTAwYjYxNzYtZWM4Ny00MjUxLTg0OWItZjc0NTY0MzZmMzMz

Not sure if it'll work or if it even applies to your version but hopefully it'll be at least a little help to you =) good luck!

Bumble78

Thanks for the link, I will look at it when I am not on my phone. As far as differences I am looking at the disassembly of the interior and stuff like that, so if I need parts and pieces it is sometimes easier for me to find it on an American site. From googling it looks like the engine, D13B, so anything I need for it I will have to hit up the autobacs.

pantyraid

=^.^=
Thanks for the link, I will look at it when I am not on my phone. As far as differences I am looking at the disassembly of the interior and stuff like that, so if I need parts and pieces it is sometimes easier for me to find it on an American site. From googling it looks like the engine, D13B, so anything I need for it I will have to hit up the autobacs.
Oh I remember what site mine came from, it was manualslib.com, I tried searching for one for your particular engine but I couldn't find one, then again the one for mine didn't come up when I did a general search for 99 civics either and it's definitely on there somewhere so maybe someone on here will have a link (I know I saw somebody post the link to mine in the last couple days so that ones definitely lurking somewhere, I'd hope yours would be as well, I'll have to check if yours is one of the ones covered in the one I have once I get home and charge my phone cause I know it covers a few different engines)

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Welcome! You're going to be making a lot of guys jealous with a true JDM car. Sorry, ladies as well.

Autobacs, and (I assume might be in your area) UP Garage might have some cheaply priced used parts

Bumble78

I can't get any parts to come up on any civic model on up garage, yahoo auctions has a lot of parts so I may go that route but then may end up broke.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, you may not find any Civic specific parts, but you could likely find some good aftermarket wheels for cheap.

Bumble78

So the inside latch for the hatch does not open the hatch. The latch works as far as it pulls the cord and actuates the lever, but it does not release, even with someone pulling as I pull the lever. It works with the key just fine. Is this a common problem or do I need to start digging into the mechanical?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So the inside latch for the hatch does not open the hatch. Is this a common problem or do I need to start digging into the mechanical?
Pretty common.
You've got to figure, the car is nearing 20yrs old.
Start looking at the hatch latch, take it apart, clean it, and lube it.

Bumble78

Mechanically everything is working. I took it apart lube the hell out of it, and it still will not open. It moves the lever like it should, but it does not pop it open like it should. Oh well.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
possible the wire itself broken, or the plastic "tab" at the end. After you've opened the hatch, did you have someone move the level while you looked at the latch?

Bumble78

possible the wire itself broken, or the plastic "tab" at the end. After you've opened the hatch, did you have someone move the level while you looked at the latch?
The lever moves the cable, the cable pulls the release lever all the way to the stop, the latch on the hatch side is actuated. With the hatch open the hatch latch will open when manually tripped, and the key works fine. This is what is confusing me. The system is working, just not. I have tried moving the catch plate on the body side, up, down, left, and right. I got infinite lives but did not fix the issue.

I am thinking about painting the black trim around the car black but I want to remove it first. The front and rear bumper look fairly easy, and the doors and rear quarter area looks not too hard, but how do you get to the back side of the front fenders? Do I just pull the wheel well liners? Of do you have to pull the fender. I can see the back side with the door open, has anyone been able to get them off that way?

Attachments