1st gear Wheelhop: 00 hatch

PaciDrifter

Respected
As the title says, i have a lost of wheelhop in 1 gear when i trash the speeder.

Info on the car:
Cheap Ebay Coilovers
Shitty Winter tires, nothing special

Car: Honda Civic Hatchback EK3 '00

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I simplified your title from "I have extreme Wheelhop when pulling in 1 gear?!?! Help!" assuming you meant "first" and not "one" gear.

With that said, the hop is probably from the crappy suspension and tires as those are the first two things to contribute to wheel hop. Confirm it by doing the bounce test of pushing down at each fender above the wheel. If it bounces a few times then the coilovers are givibg too much.

PaciDrifter

Respected
I simplified your title from "I have extreme Wheelhop when pulling in 1 gear?!?! Help!" assuming you meant "first" and not "one" gear.

With that said, the hop is probably from the crappy suspension and tires as those are the first two things to contribute to wheel hop. Confirm it by doing the bounce test of pushing down at each fender above the wheel. If it bounces a few times then the coilovers are givibg too much.
Thank you so much for correcting the title =) I will try the bounce test when i get home =) I'll get back to you if that isn't the problem =) Thank you so much, once again!

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea I'd start by replacing your suspension. If you can't afford new coilovers try and find a good used set of coilovers or get some new shocks and lowering springs. Just stay away from buying cheap eBay suspension. Your literally risking your life.

MotorMo

Respected
Ahhhh yes, wheel hop. It sucks don't it? All aggressive Honda drivers are all too failure with it. I've battled wheel hop on all of my front wheel drive cars. Suspension has ranged from eBay coil overs, to F+F type 2's, to Koni yellows and Eibach coil overs, Tein springs.....even after installing Hasport mounts, polyurethane everything, , LSD, no-LSD, and using traction bars, wheel hop still seems present given the right circumstance. Nature of the beasts I think.
You can reduce wheel hop through techniques of launching your car ("preloading" with the E brake, feathering clutch...), Softer front suspension lessens the effect as well, softer tires play a roll, air pressure, stronger mounts- they all play a role with it. But I have never found a cure for it.
On the streets, wheel hop is not so much of an issue, but when I go to the drag strip, the sticky launch pad always give me the worst wheel hop- happy I haven't broken anything yet- seriously violent at times. But I also have a heavy foot when I launch, which is why I'm aiming for some drag slicks next year so I can get a decent 60 ft. With drag slicks being SOO soft, wheel hop seems not to be an issue- just bouncy suspension if your on eBay coil overs :smokin:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Stiffer motor mounts can help a little bit, especially if yours are pretty worn. You can even just fill them in with something like 3M Window Weld.

PaciDrifter

Respected
Yea I'd start by replacing your suspension. If you can't afford new coilovers try and find a good used set of coilovers or get some new shocks and lowering springs. Just stay away from buying cheap eBay suspension. Your literally risking your life.
Just tested the coilovers and they look to be decent. They guy I bought the car from said that he paid a bit over 400$ for them, so I guess they are not the cheapest you can find on ebay.
I think the main reason for the wheelhop are the tires actually.. I'm driving on pretty worn winter tires, and it's not even that cold outside so I can see they are the problem.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Ahhhh yes, wheel hop. It sucks don't it? All aggressive Honda drivers are all too failure with it. I've battled wheel hop on all of my front wheel drive cars. Suspension has ranged from eBay coil overs, to F+F type 2's, to Koni yellows and Eibach coil overs, Tein springs.....even after installing Hasport mounts, polyurethane everything, , LSD, no-LSD, and using traction bars, wheel hop still seems present given the right circumstance. Nature of the beasts I think.
You can reduce wheel hop through techniques of launching your car ("preloading" with the E brake, feathering clutch...), Softer front suspension lessens the effect as well, softer tires play a roll, air pressure, stronger mounts- they all play a role with it. But I have never found a cure for it.
On the streets, wheel hop is not so much of an issue, but when I go to the drag strip, the sticky launch pad always give me the worst wheel hop- happy I haven't broken anything yet- seriously violent at times. But I also have a heavy foot when I launch, which is why I'm aiming for some drag slicks next year so I can get a decent 60 ft. With drag slicks being SOO soft, wheel hop seems not to be an issue- just bouncy suspension if your on eBay coil overs :smokin:
I see.
As I said in my previous reply, it's probably just the tires that are pretty s**t. They are pretty worn and it's too warm outside for them to have the optimum grip ad they indeed are winter tires. But thanks for the reply, means a lot! =)

Stiffer motor mounts can help a little bit, especially if yours are pretty worn. You can even just fill them in with something like 3M Window Weld.
I'll take a look at the mounts in the weekend =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
you can look into getting a traction bar also as they're designed to help reduce or eliminate wheel hops. A lot of all motor or turbo cars uses them. sometimes you can get wheel hops when your tires are trying to grip with half of its gripping power, like the grip is coming on and off on the launch.

PaciDrifter

Respected
you can look into getting a traction bar also as they're designed to help reduce or eliminate wheel hops. A lot of all motor or turbo cars uses them. sometimes you can get wheel hops when your tires are trying to grip with half of its gripping power, like the grip is coming on and off on the launch.
Oh okay. Well yesterday when I was flowing It, I lost grip, but no wheelhop which is good. As I've said in the previous reply, I will take a look at the engine mounts and see if they are suspicious, and if not, then I will start considering other things. =) Cheers ;)