2000 Civic EX begins vibrating badly at speed after warming up

Jen

Hi, I'm having an ongoing problem with my 2000 Honda Civic EX. The car is completely stock and was bought used with a little over 150000 miles on it a few years ago. The problem seems to to be somewhat temperature dependent, as in it shows up faster during the summer, and takes quite a while during the winter. When it's hot it may take anywhere from 10 to 50 miles to show up, in the winter it once took 250. What happens is that while i'm driving, the car will suddenly start vibrating really badly, the steering wheel shakes and you can feel the car shaking, this can go on for anywhere from five minutes to half an hour. Then it stops and begins to run normal again, and usually does not occurr again for the rest of my trip. I tend to drive this car long distances and am guaranteed to have the issue once a trip. It will also do this at any speed, though the faster you go the more pronounced the shaking is. Also, the steering wheel has a tendency to feel a touch loose when it occurs. Nothing seems to encourage it to stop, braking or acceleration included. It seems to have to just run itself out of the problem.

The front CV joints have both been replaced, standard maintenance, and a recent tune up. The car has had this problem since I bought it. It does not seem to be RPM related, and I have not been able to pin any other specific cause to it. Engine gaskets have mostly been replaced, fuel system was recently flushed. The check engine light is on, but it's the code that has to do with a bad catalytic converter. This is apparently the second cat this car has had as it's obviously a cheap replacement. The car idles fine and the majority of the time it runs great.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as it's such an intermittant problem I can't get the mechanic in the car and have it replicate. We're running out of ideas.

Jen

Jen

Two of the tires are new, the other two have been checked and are fine. Just had the brakes redone. The injectors were all firing correctly last tine it was checked at the end of last year. I tend to have the codes checked once a month, or at least every oil change to ensure its not throwing a new code.

Jen

I'm not 100% sure thats the code, but it sounds right. I won't be able to check for a week or two.

The other two tires are relatively new, and were balanced about three months ago. There is no evidence of a problem with them. I have had bad tires before and though moderately similar in feel it was never intermittant and the vibrations did not go away, also the car isnt pulling at all.

I will have them checked and balanced again though. My local mechanic is the tire shop. Tires were the first suspect we had. Thank you for your suggestions.

Jen

Unfortunately the problem is that I won't be near the car for a week or two.