2000 Civic EX motor replacement

jrinc1127

Hey guys, so I blew my motor on my EX and wanted to replace it. My dad has a friend who is a mechanic and he told me that I would need specifically a 1999 or a 2000 EX motor for it to work properly. To me it sounded weird because I have a combined 1996 DX block and a 2000 EX head currently on it which knocks. I want an EX motor and need to know if it matters what year between 96' and 00' it is or does it not. And if you guys know where I can get a good deal on one that would help a lot. Some junk yard wants 900 for it and most on CL seem sketchy.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can go for a 96-98 motor as well, you will just have to convert to obd2b to obd2a if anything

jrinc1127

I'm not familiar with obd2a/obd2b are or the difference. I've always heard these terms but never really knew what it meant.

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
I'm not familiar with obd2a/obd2b are or the difference. I've always heard these terms but never really knew what it meant.
Its basically the version of the computer/car ecu, speaking in the simplest terms. I think the only difference is the ecu plugs, so you can get an obd2a motor, just buy a jumper harness for the ecu