2000 Civic GX (CNG) distributor

Teddysmith1952

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum. My son's 2000 civic was diagnosed with a bad distributor. This is a natural gas version . The mechanic told us the replacement cost would be $850.00. We decided to tow the car home and I purchased a new distributor on line. Now I'm wondering if the natural gas (GX) civic actually requires a different type distributor than the gasoline versions. Can anyone clear this up for me? I hope I didn't order the wrong one, dang it. Many thanks.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Go to HondaPartsNow.com, pull up the distributor* part number, then put it in the search bar and the results will show you all the vehicles it shares.

Last edited:

Teddysmith1952

Thanks HeX. I appreciate your help. Sadly, I was not able to determine if the distributor I purchased will work with the GX (natural gas) Civic.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks HeX. I appreciate your help. Sadly, I was not able to determine if the distributor I purchased will work with the GX (natural gas) Civic.
You're not making sense. How did you buy a distributor without giving the model details to buy the correct one? Boofoo did the work for you and confirmed that theyre the same alternators as the 97-98 Civics of all the trims.

Teddysmith1952

Actually, we're talking a distributor, not an alternator. I ordered a replacement on ebay from a reputable seller. It said that it fits all 2000 Honda civic 1.6L. After doing further research on the net, it now looks like the "GX" natural gas model requires a different style. Not positive. The replacement distributor will be arriving tomorrow so I'll find out soon enough. If you guys are saying there is no difference between the regular gasoline and natural gas distributors, it sounds like I'll be fine.
Thanks again for your help!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually, we're talking a distributor, not an alternator. I ordered a replacement on ebay from a reputable seller. It said that it fits all 2000 Honda civic 1.6L. After doing further research on the net, it now looks like the "GX" natural gas model requires a different style. Not positive. The replacement distributor will be arriving tomorrow so I'll find out soon enough. If you guys are saying there is no difference between the regular gasoline and natural gas distributors, it sounds like I'll be fine.
Thanks again for your help!
I mistakenly wrote alternator instead of distributor and its been fixed, but the suggestion still applies. Also, you should never order any parts unless the trim is included in the part identification process, so at least now you learned a basic lesson. Re-read our replies as you're mistaken. We're not saying its compatible. We provided you with the resource to identify, through an online Honda dealer, which is the correct part which will not be a regular 99-00 distributor.