2000 CIVIC HX STAND-TRANS: Upstrem Oxygen Sensor Replacement?

Drollacosta

I have a 00 Civic HX and my check engine light is throwing a (1166) code. I know its the upstream O2 Sensor. My big questions are?

-Does anyone have the schematics on how the wiring should be?
-Will a universal O2 Sensor work for my car?
-Are there cheaper ones out there besides the $300+ that I have been finding?

Any help or information will help me out..

Thanks
David

RonJ

Banned
Download the service manual and do the proper electrical troubleshooting before you convict the O2 sensor.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
The hx has a special 5 wire o2 sensor for it's "lean burn" mode, it isn't a typical oxygen sensor. Hence the price

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The hx has a special 5 wire o2 sensor for it's "lean burn" mode, it isn't a typical oxygen sensor. Hence the price
As he said. Buy the NTK O2 sensor (part # 24300). Price hunt online and you'll find it for under $300.

Drollacosta

The O2 sensor was cut and put together with 2 different parts because there is a red wire, yellow, black, grey, and blue but I was going to go with the universal but I hear you cant use that one...the o2 sensor works but it will not allow my car to reach over 3900 rpms and it is frustrating...and due to the o2 sensor not working to standard its causing my camshaft position sensor to throw codes as well and I just replaced it.

Drollacosta

also is there only one type of 5 wire the hx can use? meaning could I grab one off a 2000 del sol or a corolla?

RonJ

Banned
Your lack of understanding of your car has led you to a collection of needlessly expensive wrong conclusions.

I'll try to put you on the right path. However, we all know that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

1) In general, a CEL code does not tell you what is specifically wrong. It tells you the system/circuit to troubleshoot to pinpoint the problem.

2) The information that you are now posting should have been included in your first post.

3) You have it reversed. The CKP sensor code is almost surely causing the performance problem, not the O2 sensor code. The two codes are completely unrelated.

4) For your strategy of randomly replacing parts, you don't need to make a thread in a technical forum. Just go to your local parts store or browse online parts stores. Then give them your money.

RonJ

Banned
Will this work???
Sure. And because you love purchase parties, also buy a distributor, an engine wire harness, an ECU, and a catalytic converter. I'm sure I'm missing something else that should be on your party list.

Now move on because you're cluttering this technical forum with complete nonsense.

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sure. And because you love purchase parties, also buy a distributor, an engine wire harness, an ECU, and a catalytic converter. I'm sure I'm missing something else that should be on your party list.

Now move on because you're cluttering this technical forum with complete nonsense.

LOL! Thanks for that laugh, RonJ.

Drolla, you came to this forum asking for our guidance for a reason. If you wont listen then you shouldnt waste our time asking us anything.

To properly solve your issue, buy the NTK O2 sensor I already suggested. That is the same one Honda uses. A generic eBay part with save you money in the short term because it'll last a year if you're lucky. Harking on RonJs sarcastic suggestions, either you can continue not to listen to our experienced advice and keep wasting money buying substandard parts and switching out unnecessary parts using your uneducated lazy theologies or you buy the new PROPER part and not have to worry about it again for another 15 years.

Drollacosta

I used RONJs advice for the troubleshoot I downloaded the most up to date owners manual for my car. I had to buy the O2 sensor its on its way. As soon as I find out anymore information I will post. Didn't mean to post crazy was just trying to get the most information. I don't work on cars and its new to me.
HeX thank I did find one that was resonbiliy priced.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Fix the issue causing it to go into limp mode?

What are the trouble codes? Some history of what's going on perhaps?

RonJ

Banned
Do you know what "limp mode" is? If so, state it and then tell us how the issue you are having is a genuine "limp mode".

I hesitate to even post in this thread given that your strategy has been to replace parts randomly rather than to do diagnostic tests.

Drollacosta

2000 Civic HX 1.6 VTEC (RPMS cut-out 3900)??

:?:Hey guys,
my civic has started to cut out 3900 rpms. I thought it was a ECU problem and it still can be. I really need advice.. I did a ECU reset and followed all the steps from unplugging the fuse and even taking off the Neg on Battery, 5min wait, plug back in restart and let idol for 15-20min and turned off and back on...haven't gone through a complete drive cycle (full tank of gas) yet but I was wondering if any of you may have another solution...I am currently not throwing any codes but I did replace my o2 sensor and camshaft position sensor recently.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used RONJs advice for the troubleshoot I downloaded the most up to date owners manual for my car. I had to buy the O2 sensor its on its way. As soon as I find out anymore information I will post. Didn't mean to post crazy was just trying to get the most information. I don't work on cars and its new to me.
HeX thank I did find one that was resonbiliy priced.
Which O2 sensor did you buy? You said 5 days ago that it's on its way and since then have made 2 other threads about the same issues with your car. Continue to use this thread and let us know what you're actually doing, what part specifically you bought, and anything else you've decided to do so we can TRY and give you information on how to correct the situation that you will likely not follow..

Drollacosta

I got the NTK #24300 and it works just fine on my car no more code but I do have a life time warranty on the crankshaft position sensor and I still need to take off and swap for a new one...I also completed a ECU reset by the manual but it doesn't seem like it helped at all. I have heard that it might be a fuel filter which since I bought the car it doesn't look like the person I got the car from did a complete tune up which I am in the process of doing now.

Drollacosta

the car almost feels like its maxing out at 3900 rpms for each gear. I really don't know what to do anymore... hopefully this fuel filter can help me out...