2000 dx hatchback screeching/grinding from pulleys/tensioner?

Jrose152

It also does this at 52mph in 5th gear. It sounds like it is coming from the pulley/tensioner area because one day when letting the car warm up I went outside and it was constantly and extremely loud(heard it from inside my house) but would stop when I would tap the gas or turn the wheel and the power steering pump would go under load. Took power steering belt off and it continued so it is not the power steering pulley/pump. It always happens at when lightly deaccelerating. Previous owner said the clutch, timing belt and water pump was replaced. Only has made sound once idling but always does while driving at the same speed/gear so I'm assuming it's being created at a specific rpm?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
It also does this at 52mph in 5th gear. It sounds like it is coming from the pulley/tensioner area because one day when letting the car warm up I went outside and it was constantly and extremely loud(heard it from inside my house) but would stop when I would tap the gas or turn the wheel and the power steering pump would go under load. Took power steering belt off and it continued so it is not the power steering pulley/pump. It always happens at when lightly deaccelerating. Previous owner said the clutch, timing belt and water pump was replaced. Only has made sound once idling but always does while driving at the same speed/gear so I'm assuming it's being created at a specific rpm?

you should check the AC tensioner