2000 EX coupe gas pump overflow?

Johnny .45

Pro Hoonage Expert
Hope that this hasn't been covered; I ddin't find anything when I searched.
I just filled my new 2000 EX 2-door all the way up for the first time, and instead of clicking off when it was full, the fuel just kept flowing until in spurted out all over the side of the car. Now my tire has a funny-colored spot on it. I know the way that most cars have a small line that shuts the pump off when the level reaches the top, and I assume a Civic is the same. Obviously not supposed to spray fuel everywhere, anyway.
Anyone ever had this happen to them, and is this common in Civics? Easy to fix, or a real pain in the ass? I love this car, and I don't want it to get burned to the ground when I fill it up some day.

BTW, it didn't come with a owners manual. I googled it, and found three people who said it should be a 11.9gal tank. Sound right? I filled it when the gas light came on, and it took a little over 9.5 gallons before it overflowed. I'm guessing that means it has about a 2-gallon reserve when the light comes on?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Couldve been the gas pump but it has happened to me before.

Just stand there and hold it :what:

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

takeachance

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can hear it when it is almost full just slow down, the pump might not have the safety shut off working properly as well. I just listen to mine when it gets closer i ease up on the handle and it clicks off when full.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've had something similar happen. When it gets full, the pump shuts off a second too late and some extra fuel pours out and down the side of the car. This only happens at Mobil stations. I've tested it at multiple and different Mobil stations and it's only there, no clue why. Every other station stops in time/normally. I don't go to Mobil stations anymore.

DeathLens

EM1 Crew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like the pump. obviously, your can't control the pump.

this only happened to me once when I kept pressing it to make sure it's full, lol

StilAHondaFreak

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Never happened to me, but, I ONLY get gas at Sonoco...

Sent from my craptastic metro pcs android using Tapatalk2