2000 Honda Civic DX hatchback

davidd_

I found a 2000 Civic DX with 177,000 miles on it at a dealership for $3,900. It will be primarily used as my daily driver for work. I was wondering if it was a bad buy? Or what are your guys opinions.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

I'd try to get the price down a good bit. KBB value is around $2500 from a dealer. But if it looks good, runs good, and it seems well maintained, it might not be a bad buy.. if you can talk them down.

Any pics of it?

davidd_

:welcome:

I'd try to get the price down a good bit. KBB value is around $2500 from a dealer. But if it looks good, runs good, and it seems well maintained, it might not be a bad buy.. if you can talk them down.

Any pics of it?
Yeah I know its a little higher than I'd want to pay for something with that many miles. And these are a few pictures of the car. uploadfromtaptalk1454603109833.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454603118319.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454603122898.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454603128377.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454603133240.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454603136971.jpg

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Athough it is a bit overpriced for the car itself (since it does have high miles and it's a DX the lowest trim), the pictures say a different story. Looks REALLY clean. I'd be more than tempted to buy this.. just test drive it and see how it goes

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It definitely looks like a solid car! Very clean. And it looks bone stock which is a huge plus! Have you test driven it yet?

EDIT: @5SpeedEJ6 beat me to it :lol:

davidd_

Athough it is a bit overpriced for the car itself (since it does have high miles and it's a DX the lowest trim), the pictures say a different story. Looks REALLY clean. I'd be more than tempted to buy this.. just test drive it and see how it goes
I thought the CX was the lowest trim? The miles kind of worry me but I've been told that they can go a long time before any trouble. And I'll be test driving it soon.

It definitely looks like a solid car! Very clean. And it looks bone stock which is a huge plus! Have you test driven it yet?

EDIT: @5SpeedEJ6 beat me to it :lol:
Yeah it looks like it was well kept. I'll be test driving it soon.

Not trying to be a d**k, but its an automatic. I don't know if you are happy with that or not.
I'm happy with it. Unfortunately I don't know how to drive stick :( Never taken the time to learn and I didn't want to buy a car to learn. And it sucks too because all the low mileage ones are 5 speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
I thought the CX was the lowest trim? The miles kind of worry me but I've been told that they can go a long time before any trouble. And I'll be test driving it soon.

Well here's an article on CX vs DX: http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/96-00-civic-cx-vs-dx-ek-hatchback-3010857/
There isn't that many big differences between them tbh.

I'm happy with it. Unfortunately I don't know how to drive stick :( Never taken the time to learn and I didn't want to buy a car to learn. And it sucks too because all the low mileage ones are 5 speeds.

It doesn't take much to learn how to drive stick.. watch a couple youtube videos, see if you can borrow a manual car from a friend and go drive. I've always loved driving manual, I can't see myself ever driving another automatic (my first car was unfortunately).

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I had only driven stick, poorly, a couple times before. Then I converted my Civic from automatic to manual with the help of a friend, and basically learned to drive it on the way home. I delivered pizza then, so I basically had to force myself to learn it.

It's pretty easy, it just takes a little getting used to. If you have any buddies in the area who drive stick, see if they can teach you. I taught a friend on my boosted Civic just by going into a parking lot and spending 15 minutes there. He now drives a standard. :thumbs up

davidd_

Well here's an article on CX vs DX: http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/96-00-civic-cx-vs-dx-ek-hatchback-3010857/
There isn't that many big differences between them tbh.

It doesn't take much to learn how to drive stick.. watch a couple youtube videos, see if you can borrow a manual car from a friend and go drive. I've always loved driving manual, I can't see myself ever driving another automatic (my first car was unfortunately).
Yeah I see it's just a few optional things, nothing major. I always watch videos on it just haven't taken the chance to actually do it. Doesn't seem difficult to learn though. And like all things it becomes muscle memory. With all the new dual clutches it seems like manuals aren't getting as much love as before.

I had only driven stick, poorly, a couple times before. Then I converted my Civic from automatic to manual with the help of a friend, and basically learned to drive it on the way home. I delivered pizza then, so I basically had to force myself to learn it.

It's pretty easy, it just takes a little getting used to. If you have any buddies in the area who drive stick, see if they can teach you. I taught a friend on my boosted Civic just by going into a parking lot and spending 15 minutes there. He now drives a standard. :thumbs up
That must have been a lot of work to convert the car to a manual transmission. I need that to happen to me otherwise I'll just be lazy and still drive automatic lol My cousin used to have a Subaru Impreza but he flipped his car over so that's out of the question. It doesn't seem difficult to learn though.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It does look very clean. If it drives very well and doesn't have any red flags (signs of an accident, swapped transmission, etc.) then I'd do my best to negotiate a maintenance package at that price.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
not a stock hubcaps theres no "H" logo imprinted in the middle
I mean that it's weird -- the rest of the car is stock, the only visible mod is a 5 lug conversion

davidd_

It does look very clean. If it drives very well and doesn't have any red flags (signs of an accident, swapped transmission, etc.) then I'd do my best to negotiate a maintenance package at that price.
I believe the Carfax showed no accident and had 3 services done to it. I'll have to double check. How much do you think that could be? And how do warranties work with used cars?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CarFax reports only show what been reported and processed through aninsurance company. That leaves room for many other unreported damages to have been incurred. Ive seen dealerships deny accident repairs when it was obvious there was damage. You should always give a thorough look or get an opinion from a shop.

Any dealership can offer some sort of warranty since its at their discretion. Many offer used car warranties, sometimes at a premium. For the price theyre asking, I wouldnt pay more than $3000 for that car unless it included a reasonable repair warranty for at least 3 years. Then again, it all depends on what Civic go for in your area. Local value can vary alot.