2001 Civic 5 speed transmission woes

ajh

5+ Year Member
Owned 2001 Civic 2door, 5 speed DX with 49,000miles since new. Do all my own maintenance & was surprised when transmission started to develop a whine at about 35,000 miles. Changed transmission fluid (Honda) & it got a little better, for a while. At about 45,000 miles the whine got a lot worse & both the Honda dealer & a very reputable independent shop guessed at one or more transmission shaft bearings. Honda dealer quoted approx $1300 to fix, & independent shop quoted $600. I decided to go with the independent shop & they pulled it apart & found the mainshaft bearing, nearest the clutch, to be bad. Thankfully everything else was OK. The guys at the shop let me see the tranny all pulled apart & you could feel the bearing was rough.

As for reasons why this bearing failed? It's hard to know. I drive reasonably hard (former FF1600 racer from Europe) & double de-clutch while downshifting, but there was no evidence of abuse anywhere else in the tranny. The shop said that about the only way to damage that bearing is to run the 'box low on oil, as it's physically the highest bearing in the 'box. I know that I filled the fluid correctly, so perhaps the original factory fill was insufficient.

Honda said they would look at my issue as an out-of-warranty claim, but the Honda dealer would have to trar down the tranny before they would commit to covering any of the repair.

Hope this assists anyone else with a similar issue....AJH

sniperscout

5+ Year Member
the d17 trannies have a lot of problems from what i have experienced. They seem to be pretty weak.

ajh

5+ Year Member
Hi sniperscout, thx for the reply. What other kinds of problems have you seen with these trannies?

Thx...AJH

sniperscout

5+ Year Member
I have known many people including myself that have to replace the trannies before 60k miles. Some of them were hard drivers and others just normal drivers. Mine started to get a whine type of sound as well. As far as specific problems i am not sure. I didnt take that tranny apart I just replaced it.

Taylorman

Taylorman

i have problems with my transmission too in my 01 2 door lx. the odd time it will pop out of 2nd gear. only when i let out the clutch though. any one know what might be up here too?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Its hard to tell with such little details, but with what you have provided it sounds like something might be wrong with your synchros. It seems weird that it only happens in 2nd though, I thought with synchros it would happen for 4th also.

Kendogg531

5+ Year Member
the transmissions that came in the 7th gen civic's (minus the si) are crap, mine is shot and my friend has a 2005 ex auto and his trans just went an he only has 52k on it...