2001 Civic Gearbox (and related issues...)

moleykart

5+ Year Member
I found (purely by accident) this website http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2001/transmission/transmission_failure-2.shtml

I havent had that problem YET... HOWEVER...

My gearbox is making a very loud and annoying rattle that sounds like a heat shield flapping about at a certain rev range. AT first, several of my mates and I thought it was the thrust bearing as it wasn't replaced when it had a new clutch (like it was supposed too) But now we have come to realise it is in fact the gearbox and after reading the above link I am actually quite pissed off because I had planned to take it to France in July but now it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it sorted.

Anyone else had this kind of trouble?

dnlphan

5+ Year Member
yeah it sux. my input shaft bearing was busted not long ago. had to pay 650 for rebuild. f**k honda design on 7 gen civics lots of problems

jono237

5+ Year Member
Not what i wanted to hear my civic also makes this sound and i thought the same thing just a loose heat shield i m not having any problems with it and it better stay that way

moleykart

5+ Year Member
Well im confused because i've spoken to several people and its split 50/50 in the fact it could simply be a clutch thrust bearing(not sure what you guys in the states would call it) which is ideal as it's cheap to fix OR it's the gearbox... which isn't so cheap...

Anyone know if another honda gearbox would fit? Or not worth it? The Engines fine just the gearbox thats "shafted"