2001 Civic LX Coupe - Passenger Window goes up but NO Down

Fresh101

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but not new to the scene of imports. I am currently seeking for some help with a issue in my car with my passenger power window. I have searched the forum and notice other member's having similar problem but in a different year model civic and the wiring diagram that they used to test the switch (driver and passenger), make me believe they are different not letting me test any further to correct the problem.

I have been working on my car for the past 2 weeks, getting everything in order. My passenger windows was not working since day one from purchasing it. Yesterday, I went and replace regulator/motor assembly and hit the switch and it just went up all the way and couldn't get it down. I tried using the master switch (driver side) with no luck, it doesn't respond at all. I thought that maybe the switch was broken or something, so I went and replaced both switches (master driver side and passenger) thinking that it will get it to work but with no success. I tested the switches in my best friend car and they work fine without any issue, I also used his switches and it still doesn't work. I tested the regulator directly with battery and it works fine up and down. Tested a few other things and notice that when I press down on the switch (passenger) the negative/ground signal does not pass to pin 2 to make the windows go down. Then I manually did it myself by bridging pin 2 (one of the lead to the motor) and pin 3 (ground) and it went down when I pressed down. And then again, when I press up, it goes up normal and the pins that become bridged on its own when pressing up, is pin 3 (ground) and pin 4 (other lead to motor). Can someone please help on how to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What years are you finding wiring diagrams for, post them up on here.

Found this:
http://www.clubcivicquebec.com/HowTo/Wiring Schematics/WiringDiagramsEM2.pdf

Mostly I just see ground distribution there. Ground appears to be shared with the door lock switches and power mirrors (if you have them) so if they work also, I would think your grounds are fine.

Is there any sound coming from the window regulator when you try to roll the window up using the switch?

I have heard a lot and seen quite a few of the EM2s with passenger side window issues where moisture gets into the switch and fries it all together. If the regulator works and the switches work in another car, take a look at the connection itself in the door and look for any debris or corrosion. Try to locate the wires coming out of the door, into the dash and check for continuity.

Fresh101

What years are you finding wiring diagrams for, post them up on here.

Found this:
http://www.clubcivicquebec.com/HowTo/Wiring Schematics/WiringDiagramsEM2.pdf

Mostly I just see ground distribution there. Ground appears to be shared with the door lock switches and power mirrors (if you have them) so if they work also, I would think your grounds are fine.

Is there any sound coming from the window regulator when you try to roll the window up using the switch?

I have heard a lot and seen quite a few of the EM2s with passenger side window issues where moisture gets into the switch and fries it all together. If the regulator works and the switches work in another car, take a look at the connection itself in the door and look for any debris or corrosion. Try to locate the wires coming out of the door, into the dash and check for continuity.
Hello Hype, how are you?

Well the diagram I saw was just of the switch connector on the passenger side door and it described what to do to each wire to trouble shut it. I can't seem to find it, I will keep digging.

About corrosion, I don't remember seen any corrosion or debris, maybe if someone can provide me with a sketch to test for continuity on each lead of the passenger side switch (5 pin), and if it's possible the driver side passenger switch just to rule out I don't have a wire cut somewhere in between driver and passenger, maybe door jambs. Thanks

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was trying to look around to refresh my memory, but I'm having a hard time remembering. I remember working on a buddy's a few years ago, he had an 03 LX Sedan and he smoked like a chimney, always had the windows open and he burned out a switch. When we disconnected the switch and put a new one in, it still didn't work right. We checked the connector and he had some crap built up around a couple of the pins. We just blew it out with some electric cleaner. I can't remember much about the wiring in the door though, sorry..

Fresh101

I fixed the issue of controlling the window with passenger switch but not with the driver side switch. It turned out that when I was doing continuity testing I notice that pin #5 could use ground (negative) as the motor was just getting power. I bridged pin #3 (negative) to pin #5 and it worked. See attachment

Fresh101

Hello again everyone, I found the problem for the driver side which also fixed the passenger issue in the first place, turned out that when testing the driver side switch I was only getting power to the passenger window when pressing down but when up it did nothing, based on the diagram I draw myself based on my observation, I notice when down pin#2 bridged with pin #1 sending power to passenger side but when pressing up pin #3 from driver switch was not sending power to passenger window. So I grabbed a piece of wire and connected the pin#3 driver side to pin #5 of passenger side based on common issue of pin #5 (passenger side) needing neutral (ground) and pin #3 (driver side) needing neutral (ground), and it was it. The wire going from driver side to passenger side is cut. Thanks

Pin #3 (driver side) on Off position is neutral (ground) giving passenger side what it was missing on pin #5.

Last edited:

sykcoman

Hi

I just bought a 2001 Civic LX 4 Door for my daughter and it came with a passenger side window not working the fuse was blown I replaced it, I have tested for continuity of the wires from drive side master switch connector to passenger switch connector and have continuity so hopefully no broken wires, I get voltage on drivers side but not through the switch on the passenger side. At the driver side master switch , the drivers side and the two back windows work right, does anyone have any tech tips or if any answers
Thank you
sykcoman

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hi

I just bought a 2001 Civic LX 4 Door for my daughter and it came with a passenger side window not working the fuse was blown I replaced it, I have tested for continuity of the wires from drive side master switch connector to passenger switch connector and have continuity so hopefully no broken wires, I get voltage on drivers side but not through the switch on the passenger side. At the driver side master switch , the drivers side and the two back windows work right, does anyone have any tech tips or if any answers
Thank you
sykcoman
prolly just a bad switch

sykcoman

Hi and thanks but which switch , I think I tested the passenger side but I will check both sides again but this passenger side window does not go up or down from both sides, I'm going wire motor to battery and see if motor is bad , I did check motor for continuity and it had a good wounding in the motor.
thanks again if you have anymore insight that would be great.
Thank you
sykcoman

Last edited:

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it doesnt go up or down. It may be the regulator

Or its could be off track and in a bind