2001 Civic LX Idle Variation

rnb_cattle

5+ Year Member
Guys I need your help.....

I bought a 01 Civic LX Coupe last week to commute back and forth to work. Seems like a pretty nice car, execpt that the car idles up and then down. So I took it to a garage, and they have had it 2 days. They said the MAP sensor was dead, so they replaced and it still did not solve it. They cleaned the IACV and check for all leaks. Then they told me that they can not communicate with the cars ecm for some reason. The owner of the garage (who is really good, I know him) wonders if the guy who had it before me had put a tuner/ laptop to it and for some reason now he can not read it. (the car had the stainless exhuast, high air intake, etc...) He wants me to bring the car back this Tues (after Mem. Day) so he can get some "online Tech" group to help him figure it out.

Do any of you guys know what this could be.... ? I asked him if was possible to reflash the ecm to OEM orginal, and he thought maybe, but needs to look into it.... Any thoughts would be great!! (before you ask, I do want this car set stock, not looking for a performance machine, just a reliable set of wheels)

Thanks!

rnb_cattle

5+ Year Member
Looks as if I have stumped you all..... Anyway I figured it out.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you should check your MAF, also check tps and cables

rnb_cattle

5+ Year Member
Problem was the alternator... What was strange the car never gave me the "battery" light, (and yes, it the bulb works). I was driving and the dash and radio just stopped and the car went into limp mode. Then the car died, I had to get a jump and found the alternator was bad, I replaced the alternator and fixed alot of other problems I was having.. so now the mystery is why didn't the car tell me it had a charging issue?? owell,, all well ends well.