2001 cylinder head cam end plug

Civics Rule

5+ Year Member
Hello...

Haven't been on here in quite some time. Have a little oil leak from the left side of the valve cover area. I believe it is the cam end plug?? It is not actually located on the valve cover, but a little lower. It is a plastic
circular cap, and this is where the oil is coming from. Does anyone know if this plastic circular cover just "pops" off and can be then replaced with a new one that would just pop back on?? The Civic I have is a 2001 LX with the 1.7 engine. I did find a YouTube video that shows the area and part I am talking about, but it doesn't actually show the repair. The guy does say that the part just "pops" out and you then just pop in the new one, but he also used Honda Bond silicone with his repair. Would the silicone be necessary?? I mean with a new part and new "O" ring on it, would you also need silicone??
Here is the link to the YouTube video that shows the same part that I need to replace.
At about 3:05 minutes into the video it shows the black plastic circular cap that I think will need replaced....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1yzbcBdj1I

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Disclaimer: I've never actually done this replacement.

but it seems pretty straightforward. It does indeed look it it just pops off., though you may need to pry from a few angles to break the silicone seal. If it was silicone sealed to begin with, I would silicone it back on.

Civics Rule

5+ Year Member
Well, I think I'm gonna leave it up to my local mechanic. Seems everytime I try to do a simple fix, I run into more than I bargained for. Thanks for your input tho......

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You may consider going to autozone and asking the guys there. They're usually really helpful in answering questions about maintenance / repair work.

Civics Rule

5+ Year Member
Good idea.... those guys are usually pretty knowledgeable. Maybe pick up one of the Haynes repair manuals while there too. Thanks joe7987.
Guys up to work ask me "is it leaking much?", to which I tell them no, not a whole lot. They then tell me that if it was up to them, they would leave it alone. Could just end up causing more problems. hehehe.... but that would be my luck, more trouble!!!!..... hehehe.....