2001 Honda Civic Ex

Chris914

I just finished buying a 2001 Honda Civic Ex Manual. Guy that sold it to me told me Clutch is no Good. I am currently looking to upgrade the clutch to a racing stage 2 but this is my first civic. Therefore I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to which clutch I should get.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
For what purpose?
Why not go with an OEM clutch?
^ This. All a stage 2 clutch would do, assuming everything else you have is stock, will make it tougher to drive, and nothing more. If you don't need it, stick with OEM.

Chris914

Because Im going to convert the entire car. Always wanted a toy, not sure yet on what engine to get but I want to boost it at the end.

Was thinking about dropping a K20 in it probably go all motor if I do that otherwise Ill drop a B motor or something. Not sure.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Because Im going to convert the entire car. Always wanted a toy, not sure yet on what engine to get but I want to boost it at the end.
That's all talk...
Unless you have an actual power goal and budget, blowing money on a stage 2 clutch is useless.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Figure out your motor/boost plans first and then go from there. If you get a new motor, like a K-series, you'd need a different clutch anyways, since a D-series clutch won't work with K-series, etc.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thank you So ill figure out what motor Im going to drop probably pick that up first.
Yeah, because if you kept your D17, bought a new clutch for it, then swapped in some other motor a couple months later that wasn't a D17... you'd need to get another clutch anyways.

Your only option for a swap really is a K-series at this point. 7th gens and B-series motors won't get along.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your only option for a swap really is a K-series at this point. 7th gens and B-series motors won't get along.
The 7th gen Civic doesn't get along with a lot.
For the time, money and labor involved in K swapping a 7th gen, I'd skip all of that and either buy an EP3 or Rsx.

dancam

Registered VIP
Just get a cheap ebay clutch for now then figure out and plan your whole other build before you start and get the appropriate clutch for the build then. My brother put a 3 puck clutch in his turboed '91 civic and going foreward was fine but trying to back out of a parking stall blind was brutal. Reverse is a higher gear than first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris914

I have a 2000 Honda Civic Ex coupe with 80k miles as well. Should I just invest into that one or sell both And Get something else lol.

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
Depends entirely on what you want to do. Do you want something you can have fun building and take a year, then enjoy driving? Or do you want to make a car go really quick fast and spend more time driving? Or whats your goal?

Chris914

Lol Option 2, Something together quick. However, I don't mind waiting if It means a better outcome.

So if a 7th generation is going to equal out to a lot of headaches and money trying to do what I want then I might as well get something else. I saw a K series motor for $5,000

Any suggestions on what I should get other then a Rsx and Ep3? Such as what generation would I want to look for?

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
Best bet would be to sell it and get something else then. Do you care to stick to honda? 90's acura integra, 80's mr2, s2000, ford festiva, mazda miata, small audi's... Long list, tons of cars are a better option than a 7th gen civic. Lol, an rx7 is probably less of a headache to build, and more fun for sure.

Chris914

Alright so I'm going to drop a clutch into the 2001 and get rid of it Already got someone coming to see the 2000 friday Ill use that money to find something a little better.

Best bet would be to sell it and get something else then. Do you care to stick to honda? 90's acura integra, 80's mr2, s2000, ford festiva, mazda miata, small audi's... Long list, tons of cars are a better option than a 7th gen civic. Lol, an rx7 is probably less of a headache to build, and more fun for sure.

Integral never liked them, mr2 no, s2000 no, Ford Festiva? Mazda hell no, Audi no, rx7 look into it what generation should I look into? and

What about supra?

I kinda rather stick to honda Honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
an rx7 is probably less of a headache to build, and more fun for sure.
Maybe more fun in the end, but not exactly easier.

Alright so I'm going to drop a clutch into the 2001 and get rid of it Already got someone coming to see the 2000 friday Ill use that money to find something a little better.
Alright, so with those two potentially sold, what exactly are you looking for and to do with this next vehicle purchase?

Chris914

Honestly As of right now I'm undecided. But i did See a Toyota Corolla 1979 1.8 manual with 46k on craigslist yesterday garage kept brought me back to when I owned my 81. Might wanna try to check that out. But not even sure I want to even get back into that Was hard during winter going out there messing with carb lol.

I honestly want a turbo car. I'm Not looking to go 1000 Miles a hour just yet, but I do want something so If someone pulls up next to me and trys to test me I can pull off on them regardless what they drive.

Last edited: