1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

2001 Honda Civic overheating when heater turned on

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by roblar1958, Dec 29, 2008.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. roblar1958

roblar1958 New Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Long Beach
    I have a 2001 Honda Civic Ex that has 85,000 miles. Everything works great until I turn on the heater. The heater air will intermittently just start to blow cool air then it starts to overheat. Have replaced thermostat, sensor, engine temp sensor, timing belt, water pump, radiator flushed, coolant level fine, heater core checked and cleaned, fan belts replaced, ac refrigerant charged...at wits end! I was told there is some sort of valve that is controlled by vacuum that allows the heated water into the heater core which then blows the warm air that could be faulty, but could that cause rest of engine to overheat and also to suddenly blow cool air instead of warm?
  2. boxinggsxr

boxinggsxr New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2008
    the same s**t happens to my 03 civic lx it fukn sucks if i turn on ac or heater and it sits for 5 min i gotta shut it of cuz the engine will overheat
  3. AliasNeo

AliasNeo New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

May 10, 2005
    change the thermostat.