2001 ls block..help!!!

disxpnoi

5+ Year Member
hey wassup yall..i dunt know much bout engine works so i need help..i just purchased a 2001 ls block..and what else do i need...im planning to go for ls vtec, i have a auto..so from what i know so far is to:
get b16 head
auto ecu
?????????help

Vicious

1st gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what kind of block long block or short block? oh you might wanna put this in the engine section

Vicious

1st gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh and this is the most important thing of all research before you try to even build an engine ok;)

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and if you have a D engine now you're going to need a B series tranny.

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
axles..shift linkage..mounts..

Vicious

1st gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok why did you mention you wanted to keep it auto and to be honest manuals are cheaper

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have a D series tranny, then you will need to find another tranny. The LS auto is a piece of s**t though, and there's no point in spending the money if you're going to f**k it over with an auto tranny. People swap out of auto D's just to get a damn manual and you're looking for an auto LS-vtec, it's counter intuitive.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
People swap out of auto D's just to get a damn manual and you're looking for an auto LS-vtec, it's counter intuitive.
so there aren o benifetts from swapping from d to b even if its still auto?. Much less power but much cheaper.
please give more information

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when spending the cash to upgrade a motor, it makes no sense to hobble the more powerful motor with an auto. And like I said, LS auto's are horrible.

It's like getting a turbo, but running only 3lbs of boost. Yeah you'll have more power, but why the f**k would you do it?

As for being cheaper, he's going to have a better chance of finding a high quality B manual than finding a good LS auto.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but the ls is considerably faster(still slow but faster) than the y7 even if they are both auto. To swap auto to auto you wouldnt see considerable difference?

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my roomate in college had an LS auto and my Y8 auto schooled him. Granted there's a weight difference, but the LS tranny just isn't made for any get-up-and-go whatsoever.

It will be faster than the auto Y7 but why spend money on being BARELY faster than a D?

disxpnoi

5+ Year Member
ok well i thought it would be faster due to electronic shifting..but i guess not..i mean manual will be great too, i just thought i'd save money and get the same/ close power with auto..thats cool tho. Thanks for the help yall..no auto ls/vtec!
ls vtec>> So what else should i get, i mean whats the best things to get first for building a motor. u know so far i only have the block. What should i get first second etc..so on
1.block
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5.?
ohh yea and i have scraped ls auto's a couple of times too...haha with mah auto y7..Thanks

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
so there aren o benifetts from swapping from d to b even if its still auto?. Much less power but much cheaper.
please give more information
auto is shyt...
u just floor it and kill ur tranny...
with manual ur tranny can take much more beating...

and i wouldn't say stick is cheaper..
for the swaps that we are interested in..stick is more expensive than auto...

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
but the ls is considerably faster(still slow but faster) than the y7 even if they are both auto. To swap auto to auto you wouldnt see considerable difference?
haha...i raced my boy with his auto rsx the other day..took him all 3 times by a car...from a stop..
he got me from a roll one time though...
and he's packing the k20a3..i might be wrong on the number..the em2 motor just auto...
and i have/had a POS dx...

i hope that naswers ur question about a y7 vs auto ls... 8)