2002 Honda Civic Cam shaft position sensor

Buckeye

A question for the masses.........I have a 2002 Honda Civic (Standard transmission with 175,000 miles). I have encountered fault codes P1361 & P1362 on 3 different occasions (over a span of about 4 months) where I was driving and my car "jerked/hesitated" slightly and went into "limp mode". On each occasion I was able to drive home and after setting for about an hour the car re-starts and runs fine. I read several different forums and decided to replace my "camshaft position sensor" over the weekend. When I completed this work (it took me about 1 hr) my car would not start as it was "immobilized" - it did not recognize my programmed key. I obtained the "brake" code for my Civic as I had used it about a year ago due to losing my keys and the car would still not start. This left me very confused as I was concerned that maybe something was wrong with my ECM. Because I was paranoid I put the original camshaft position sensor in the Civic and still no luck in starting (even though I realize the sensor should have nothing to do with the immoblizing system). I had it towed to a Honda dealer and they programmed the key(s). My question is what can cause the ECM to lose the programmed keys? I asked the dealer if there was the potential for the ECM to get a hard short that clears its memory........has anyone experienced something like this?

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
What did the dealer say, and does the car start now?

Buckeye

The dealership did not say anything enlightening. I spoke to both the "service advisor" and one of the mechanics. Both were not sure how the ECM could "lose" the memory of the programmed keys unless I "reset" the ECM which I did not do. The mechanic did say that the only time he has run across an issue with the ECM has resulted in "major" issues with the car which mine did not have major issues. They were able to communicate with the ECM and program my keys. The car started fine and has since. I would like to see the wiring circuit for the camshaft position sensor (TDC sensor). I observed on another blog that for the 2002 Honda Civic LX that the under the hood fuse #6 is for among other things the CKP (Crankshaft position sensor), TDC sensor, ECM/PCM, and immobilizer control unit. If this is true I am very curious if there was a way to have "inadvertantly" reset the ECM by replacing the TDC sensor with being on a common circuit.