2003 Civic EX EGR test? p0401 code

bluedoggy1

Hello all, noob here.

Is there a way to test the EGR valve to see if it is still working properly? Don't want to shell out $120 and see it is not the problem.

Also is there a step by step DIY intake manifold removal process so I can open it up to check if passages are blocked?

Thanks.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you clean the EGR.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you clean the egr valve sorry most people already assume that when you say egr. don't spray into the block.

bluedoggy1

you clean the egr valve sorry most people already assume that when you say egr. don't spray into the block.
Is it bad to spray in the port not coming from the intake because I did :\? (with carb cleaner)

I ended up removing intake and the intake metal face facing the block was pretty dirty with carbon everywhere so I cleaned that and the egr valve port was covered in carbon and also the previous owner decided to put silicone in addition to the gasket and almost completely covered the egr port as well. Valve was clean.

Cleaned everything and will reassemble tomorrow with new gasket and seals. I will update whether or not code returns. Thanks for help.

Last edited:

bluedoggy1

:D
ended up clearing the code and drove on freeway and got no pending codes. did get different codes initially before I started car due to forgetting to snap on a sensor cable :lol: runs better though thats good

thanks for help
sorry if double post is not allowed.
/end thread