2003 civic oil leak. What should i do?

Civic Moose

Hello, new to the civic forum club. I have an 03 civic lx sedan. I have a slow leak coming from under front left side of car. Got under it, looks like perhaps oil pan gasket maybe be the issue but I am not certain. The oil pan screws look to be beading up dripping oil and bottom of oil pan as well. Control arm and other surrounding parts underneath in that area seem to be saturated with oil as well.

I originall got under car because of clunking noise when hitting bumps coming from front left wheel area of car. My thought was that I might need new shocks, struts etc but I dont quite know what to look for/diagnose...

Car just turned 100k miles and has been pretty well taken care of from what I can tell and from history records that came from first owner. I am the second owner.

Anyone have any advice or thoughts as to what I should be looking out for or thinking about replacing? Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the first place to look on most hondas especially civics is the rear cam plug seal they always leak oil. its a fairly simple fix there are DIYs on youtube.

Civic Moose

the first place to look on most hondas especially civics is the rear cam plug seal they always leak oil. its a fairly simple fix there are DIYs on youtube.
Thank you for the suggestion, I will get a look at it again tnite. I appreciate the response!

Civic Moose

On an 03 civic lx (1.7) The rear cam plug seal is located towards the passengers side of the motor and can be seen while looking down on motor while the hood is up correct? I googled pix of it and found it in the motor, and that seems to be bone dry and not leaking. I should have taken a pic while under there but I think (and i am no mechanic) that the issue may be an old oil pan gasket that needs replacing. The oil pan and all its bolts(that i can see) are wet w oil and some are beading up dripping now and then.