2004 Civic EX Rough Idle

alex04civic

5+ Year Member
My girlfriend and I recently got an 04 Civic EX Sedan for her. This car is a rebuilt salvage car, but the price was right. It has 34,000 miles on it and bad motor mounts when we got the car, and when the car was cold it had a rough idle but it would go away after driving it a bit so i was not concerned about it. Well I replaced the motor mounts with a cheap non oil filled mounts and now the car idles rough all the time. I know its not a transmission problem because no matter what gear the car is in P R N or D it is unchanged, but once the car is brought above ~1000 rpm its runs smooth, and when its idling rough if you put your hand on the engine it seems to not have any unusual vibrations.

I am used to working on fords and my honda experience is pretty much limited to an 89 prelude with dual carbs....

Any help is appreciated...

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
like are we talking small vibration in the engine or dose the engine look like it's trying to wiggle it's way out of the engine bay?

alex04civic

5+ Year Member
you cant even see the engine vibrating, but if you put your hand on the engine it seems normal, but yet the car vibrates badly, thats why i am thinking that maybe its the cheap mounts i used...

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Alex, that is very possible. Cheap or not, if the mount is stiffer than stock, the car is going to vibrate more than normal. If the vibrating started immediately after you replaced the mounts, I'd be willing to bet it is simply that.

By rough idle, do you mean that the car vibrates, or do you mean that the rpm's actually fluctuate?

alex04civic

5+ Year Member
The rpms hold solid, just have a bad vibration in the car, and once the you bring the rpms above ~1000 rpm its nice and smooth. i know the factory mounts are oil filled because the destroyed ones were leaking when i took them off the car, but these new ones are even advertised as stiffer than stock...

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yep I'd be willing to bet that's your problem.

EMIIspecED

TEAM OCELOT rep.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
check ur subframe too it could be severly bent, or maybe not bent that much, any subframe damage can mess the whole drivetran up, just another suggestion