2004 Civic has trouble with acceleration...

Colleen

Hi everyone, I'm new on here. I don't know a whole lot about cars, so I was hoping to get some help figuring out why my 2004 Civic feels like it's always struggling to accelerate. It's a 5-speed, and the RPMs go up no problem (until I get to third gear), but the car barely accelerates. Once I get up to speed, it stay at about 4,000 RPMs while going 70 mph on the highway. This seems pretty high. I've tried replacing the air filter, cleaning the throttle body, cleaning the fuel injectors, and my next step is going to be replacing the fuel filter. Any suggestions?

thecalypso

Respected
R there any CEL,check engine lights, on in the dash. Cars that have an problems sometimes go into a safety mode, called LIMP mode. It does this when there is a problem that it recognizes that could potentially lead to bigger problems later. If there is no CEL on. Then it could be your transmission. You were very descriptive in your explanation, but I would need some more of the details to better diagnose the problem.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would scan for codes, always as the first thing I do, but limp mode is usually not going to allow it to get as far as 4,000 rpms and most will not allow you to get anywhere near freeway speeds. The limp mode is there to limit the engine so it can't get to higher rpms and wheel speeds to save the engine from catastrophe. The fact that she is able to get to 70mph is suspect to deal out the limp mode.

When was the last FULL tune up. Sounds like it is being choked, possibly a bad cat. Need more information and troubleshooting.

Then again, this doesn't really spell trouble to me. My 5th gen used to sit around 3500 at 70-75mph and was very slow to accelerate. They all are. They are made for the best gas mileage and Honda's way to get that was wierd gearing and slower acceleration. You didn't state your trim model or engine code/type so can't say for sure.

Colleen

R there any CEL,check engine lights, on in the dash. Cars that have an problems sometimes go into a safety mode, called LIMP mode. It does this when there is a problem that it recognizes that could potentially lead to bigger problems later. If there is no CEL on. Then it could be your transmission. You were very descriptive in your explanation, but I would need some more of the details to better diagnose the problem.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply. The check engine light kept going on and off a few months ago, so I took it to my mechanic and he said it was the throttle body sensor, so I cleaned the throttle body and it hasn't come on since. But maybe I need to clean it better. I hope it's not the transmission that's the problem...

I would scan for codes, always as the first thing I do, but limp mode is usually not going to allow it to get as far as 4,000 rpms and most will not allow you to get anywhere near freeway speeds. The limp mode is there to limit the engine so it can't get to higher rpms and wheel speeds to save the engine from catastrophe. The fact that she is able to get to 70mph is suspect to deal out the limp mode.

When was the last FULL tune up. Sounds like it is being choked, possibly a bad cat. Need more information and troubleshooting.

Then again, this doesn't really spell trouble to me. My 5th gen used to sit around 3500 at 70-75mph and was very slow to accelerate. They all are. They are made for the best gas mileage and Honda's way to get that was wierd gearing and slower acceleration. You didn't state your trim model or engine code/type so can't say for sure.
Thanks for your reply. I just bought the car a few months ago, and I haven't brought it in for a tune up. I should probably do that. And it's an EX coupe. 1.7L.

thecalypso

Respected
Ok great. It's definitely not your transmission. It's that sensor. You can keep cleaning it or just replace it, it's usually pretty inexpensive and will perform better if just replaced. Super easy to replace also. Clean out the throttle body really good with some sensor safe throttle body cleaner. Make sure that the throttle body gasket is flush and set well. Check and make sure that all wiring is looking clean and no shorts or crimped.

Colleen

Ok great. It's definitely not your transmission. It's that sensor. You can keep cleaning it or just replace it, it's usually pretty inexpensive and will perform better if just replaced. Super easy to replace also. Clean out the throttle body really good with some sensor safe throttle body cleaner. Make sure that the throttle body gasket is flush and set well. Check and make sure that all wiring is looking clean and no shorts or crimped.
Awesome, I'll definitely do that. Thanks so much.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
She owns a Honda, works on her own car, and she gorgeous. If you're not bipolar then you're awesome.

With that outta my system, I definitely suggest a full tune-up. Worn spark plugs & wires could just make the car perform worse than the throttle body sensor may do on its own. Go with NGK plugs & wires or OEM which would be more expensive. Also, look into adjusting the valves. My uphill accelerations improved noticeably after that. You may want to check out the link in my signature titled (How To: Better MPG) for a few more ideas for your tune-up.

Here's the link if you viewing this on your phone... http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-better-mpg.215664/

Colleen

She owns a Honda, works on her own car, and she gorgeous. If you're not bipolar then you're awesome.

With that outta my system, I definitely suggest a full tune-up. Worn spark plugs & wires could just make the car perform worse than the throttle body sensor may do on its own. Go with NGK plugs & wires or OEM which would be more expensive. Also, look into adjusting the valves. My uphill accelerations improved noticeably after that. You may want to check out the link in my signature titled (How To: Better MPG) for a few more ideas for your tune-up.

Here's the link if you viewing this on your phone... http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-better-mpg.215664/
Thank you. I'll definitely check it out!

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
There's a lot of good stuff listed in here. Your vehicle has coil on plug ignition. You may want to invest in replacing yours. Don't buy cheap ones! Bosch ignition coils run around $50 each and you need 4.

Does the motor rev up ok in 1-2 all the way to redline? I'm just trying to get some more background on the drivability issue.

Is your gas mileage ok?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your vehicle has coil on plug ignition. You may want to invest in replacing yours. Don't buy cheap ones! Bosch ignition coils run around $50 each and you need 4.
On HondaPartsNow.com, the ignition coils are $51.26 each. http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~coil~plug~hole~30520-PGK-A01.html

Ebay has all 4 by Denso (OEM Brand) for $120... http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Denso-673-2305-Premium-High-Performance-Ignition-Coil-Set-of-4-Fits-Civic-/360817026239?fits=Make:Honda|Model:Civic

She should go OEM. Bosch doesnt come close to OEM quality.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP

Colleen

There's a lot of good stuff listed in here. Your vehicle has coil on plug ignition. You may want to invest in replacing yours. Don't buy cheap ones! Bosch ignition coils run around $50 each and you need 4.

Does the motor rev up ok in 1-2 all the way to redline? I'm just trying to get some more background on the drivability issue.

Is your gas mileage ok?
Thanks, I'll look into that. My gas mileage is great. And it revs up fine in 1st and 2nd gears, but once I shift into 3rd, it starts to struggle. It's especially bad when I'm on a hill - even a slight incline - but I guess that's to be expected from any car.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now I am even more convinced it is just a slow gas beast of a honda. They are built slow to get the best mileage possible.

Not to say something isn't wrong, but it just isn't adding up unless we aren't getting all the information. Sounds like a typical Honda, especially on the hills. I had to down shift into 3rd sometimes to make it up a decent hill on the freeway.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Though something is odd... 4k @70 RPM? In 5th gear? That's too high. Confirmed by this thread: http://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/165787-whats-your-rpm-above-70-mph.html

It depends a lot on the transmission that is in the car. Different trim models had shorter ratios.

Either way, think about it if you are on the freeway doing 70+, high rpms aren't a fault of the engine it would be on the transmission and/or the clutch. If you are really 500-1000 rpms above average on the freeway at 70 (which most threads the consensus is around 3500 at 70mph for a manual with short gears; around 3000rpms for 60mph) you have a clutch that is slipping badly. In 5th gear at freeway speeds and cruising, you are locking into the final gear ratio and the only thing going to change that is the clutch losing pressure or slipping on the flywheel. That or you have internal transmission problems and the gears are running faster than they should for some very odd reason. Riding the clutch comes to mind as well.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It depends a lot on the transmission that is in the car. Different trim models had shorter ratios.

Either way, think about it if you are on the freeway doing 70+, high rpms aren't a fault of the engine it would be on the transmission and/or the clutch. If you are really 500-1000 rpms above average on the freeway at 70 (which most threads the consensus is around 3500 at 70mph for a manual with short gears; around 3000rpms for 60mph) you have a clutch that is slipping badly. In 5th gear at freeway speeds and cruising, you are locking into the final gear ratio and the only thing going to change that is the clutch losing pressure or slipping on the flywheel. That or you have internal transmission problems and the gears are running faster than they should for some very odd reason. Riding the clutch comes to mind as well.
Yeah, my thought here is slipping clutch, though I am not familiar with 7th gens.

OP, try this test... accelerate to 25mph in 2nd or 3rd, then drop it into 5th and continue accelerating like normal. If the RPMs go up but the car is accelerating as it should, your clutch is slipping.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I still think it may be in need of a valve adjustment because I went through the same issue. Even though I have the long-geared HX, it still felt like it should climb steep hills better. After the valve adjustment, it was a very noticeable improvement when going uphill along with overall better mileage.

Colleen, what is your average MPG? Not to doubt you, but we're all assuming your statement of "gas mileage is great" is accurate when you might be undervaluing it.

Colleen

Yeah, my thought here is slipping clutch, though I am not familiar with 7th gens.

OP, try this test... accelerate to 25mph in 2nd or 3rd, then drop it into 5th and continue accelerating like normal. If the RPMs go up but the car is accelerating as it should, your clutch is slipping.
I tried it, and the RPMs went up like normal.