2004 Civic LX very poor gas mileage

james79s

5+ Year Member
how many tanks of gas have you ran in it since you owned it?

when i bought mine... i thought my guage was f**ked up. but no..the car hasnt been ran for a while so the needle was a little stiff....
I never even thought of that... I have only gone through 1 full tank of gas since buying it, I have only had it 2 weeks. And the car was essentially just sitting on the lot from February or March or something like that before I bought it, so that is a possiblity. What was the result of the stiff gauge in your car? How long did it take to clear up?

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just keep running it, the car will free up some power because it was just sitting in the lot for some time. I wouldn't worry about it.

take a trip in the car, or like floor it to redline a few times that outta fix her up. ;)

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sadly that doesnt sound too far off from what i get. i usually get 278 when the light comes on. its a 03 auto ex. ive been the original owner and have never come close to seeing the mpg that honda advertised on the invoice. if im on the highway for an entire tank of gas i might hit 300 miles. i know that the manuals get great milage, but i think the autos all have bad mileage .
I've gotten 42mpg out of a tank in my auto on the highway and my fiance averages right around 38 with it as her DD.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
pull your injectors to see if they are clean, they could be clogged. if they are, spray some b12 through it. that should clean it with the quicknessss (works better than fuel injector treatment stuff you buy from a auto parts store)

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have an 04 lx too.
Check your tire pressure
Get fuel injectors clean
Check your vaccums too
For starters.

I get about 400 no air and on the highway now
And 300-330 in town w/ no air

SchneidR

Keeping it clean
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi guys, I am new to the forum, so all your help is greatly appreciated!

I just bought (2 weeks ago) a 2004 Civic LX from a local Honda dealership, and I got 384km (238miles) until my fuel low indicator came on, which is horrendous! I am pretty mad right now, as there is clearly something wrong with the car, I am just not sure what.

I know that they will fix whatever withing the first 30 days, so I am not too concerned about that, but still, wouldn't you be mad?

Anyway, before I blow my lid, any suggestions as to what it could be?? They were supposed to have the oil and filter changed before I left, but maybe they never did that?

Again, all your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

With air conditioning on, auto or manual??
Also make sure you have that oem gas cap, if not your gas vapors are not correctly pressurized!

james79s

5+ Year Member
Hello all.. in case anybody was wondering, I got my car back from the dealer, and it turns out that it was a faulty fuel gauge. They replaced the entire cluster. I filled up after I left the dealership, and all seems well!

So the mileage was never off, it was just the gauge.

Thanks for all your help!

hondamotoxer

Driver
5+ Year Member
i have a 04 ex 5-speed, my brother had a 04ex auto. his got bad MPG. after much disapointment we found out that the previous owner had way overcharged the a/c system, so it was working much harder when on. that helped a bit. R12-even better

also the gas gage is very wierd acting. sometimes i fill up on empty and can only squeez 10 gal, then other times over 13. every time i wait longer after the light comes on. what others have said about parking on an incline, i have also found to be true.

what about the "intake temperature sensor" located above the throttle body? am i correct in saying that if this device is malfunctioning it may be stuck on telling the car the air being sucked in is full cold, all the time, thus making a rich air/fuel mix? just an idea- im not a mechanic
good luck, anybody feel free to correct me if im wrong

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Hello all.. in case anybody was wondering, I got my car back from the dealer, and it turns out that it was a faulty fuel gauge. They replaced the entire cluster. I filled up after I left the dealership, and all seems well!

So the mileage was never off, it was just the gauge.

Thanks for all your help!
So i was correct from the begining......