2004 civic si mobile 1 oil?

RookieCivic20

So I recently purchased a 2004 civic si and a couple of days after I bought it I decided to get an oil change. The oil I told Walmart to use was mobile 1 synthetic because the car has over 77000 miles, however, after only 500 miles the oil is a little more than half way mark. So basically should I just go with basic mobile 1 5000? And my car takes 5W-20 and they used 5W-30 does that contribute to oil loss?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i use mobile 1 synthetic 5w30 in my 2004 civic with 150,000 miles and don't have this problem after 500 miles im going on 3,000 miles and its still full it sounds like your burning oil.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Perhaps you have an oil leak. Drive your car and then park it over a piece of cardboard.. pull the cardboard out after a bit and look for oil drops.

Or perhaps Walmart didn't put enough oil in.. it is Walmart after all and not a reputable shop. I would NEVER let Walmart change my oil!

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ooow sheet i thought he just bought the oil at walmart yeah they most likely half assed something like the drain plug or oil filter or didn't ad enough oil you better get under there and inspect what they did an never ever take it to walmart of all places to get a oil change do that stuff yourself.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
1. Learn to change your own oil or find someone you trust.

2. 5w30 is thinner than 5w20, but not enough to burn it. Top it off, drive it, and recheck about a week later.

RookieCivic20

Yeah I am gonna Get my oil changed by real people this time and check to see it that works. What is the best standard oil not synthetic out there for 5w-20?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah I am gonna Get my oil changed by real people this time and check to see it that works. What is the best standard oil not synthetic out there for 5w-20?
stop wasting your money getting the oil changed ,do it yourself man, you will save money, and then you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it right instead of relying on some dip s**t 18 year old that makes 7 dollars a hour and does not give a flying f**k about your car.

RookieCivic20

Yeah I know that but what is best standard oil brand out there? Mobil 5000, Castrol gtx, pennzoil? In terms of 5w-20?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there all the same so whatevers the cheapest.
No they aren't

5w30 is thinner than 5w20
Wrong, it's the other way around.

It's hard to diagnose what is going on without knowing for sure if your oil was correctly filled. There is no reason to believe it wouldn't have been but you never know if you didn't check it at the time of service. Top off your oil, inspect for any leaks and then drive the car, checking the oil level every couple of days.

Eddy18

5+ Year Member
Yeah I know that but what is best standard oil brand out there? Mobil 5000, Castrol gtx, pennzoil? In terms of 5w-20?
I Have a 2001 I use castrol 10,40 in the winter and then in the summer 10,30 i also use castrol on my Nissan Titan, love it..

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
I Have a 2001 I use castrol 10,40 in the winter and then in the summer 10,30 i also use castrol on my Nissan Titan, love it..
So yo use thicker oil in the winter and thinner in the summer? Seems like it should be the other way around. I'm confused now.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I Have a 2001 I use castrol 10,40 in the winter and then in the summer 10,30
Why do you use something that thick on a car that calls for 5-30 or 5-20?

So yo use thicker oil in the winter and thinner in the summer? Seems like it should be the other way around. I'm confused now.
It should be the other way around, thinner in the winter for less resistance at start up although in this case it doesn't make a difference. The first number is the viscosity when the engine is cold, the second is the viscosity when it's hot so at start up, 10-30 and 10-40 are the the same.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
It should be the other way around, thinner in the winter for less resistance at start up although in this case it doesn't make a difference. The first number is the viscosity when the engine is cold, the second is the viscosity when it's hot so at start up, 10-30 and 10-40 are the the same.
So at FOT 5w30 is thicker than 5w20 right? How does that make sense when the lower number (5) is thicker when its cold, but according to you 30 is thicker than 20?

Eddy18

5+ Year Member
Why do you use something that thick on a car that calls for 5-30 or 5-20?

Yea well my mechanic that used to work for Honda told me that it's fine, and i dnt really knw y thinner in the summer I think he said bc in stays at its same form and somthing else, but I can be wrong so I'll ask him again, but after all they are Hondas and they last do ever and incase I can't do an oil change I can go a little over with it

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the only thing that using oil that thick is doing to your 2001 is giving you worse gas mileage use 5w30 max.

Eddy18

5+ Year Member
the only thing that using oil that thick is doing to your 2001 is giving you worse gas mileage use 5w30 max.
You think so? How so? Idk that's y I'm asking, rt now I get like 350-400 give or take depending how i drive; i drove once for 4 and a half hrs goin 65-70 got like almost 4 but heck of you think I can get more miller by going lower then I'll switch, also has Any one tried Quaker state?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well that's the only reason honda recommends 5w20 in the 7th gen for better gas mileage but with high miles its to thin so i use 5w30 synthetic its better for cold starts and wear protection.