2004 honda civic overheating while in idle with new thermostat

idreamofjeannie

We have done quite a bit of work on the honda new thermostat (From the honda dealership) and a new cap also from Honda and the car will only overheat if the car is idle or going slow. If i am going slow then it will start to overheat and i will pick up speed and it will go back down. Im not sure where to start and i dont have a lot of money. Any ideas where a good place to start looking ?? i have almost 200K miles on it and have had no troubles with it other than this.

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
Have you confirmed that the fans turn on?

-Pat

ej1_mikey_bee

I have the same problem could really use some answers I just replaced it and the car has 165k on it is it safe to drive it from Denver to nor cal?

Posted from Clubcivic.com App for Android

fans do turn on could it be a solenoid something like that also I replace the thermostat as well

Posted from Clubcivic.com App for Android

Last edited by a moderator:

Mishimoto

Product Manufacturer
5+ Year Member
ej1_mikey_bee,

Air might be in your system, have you bled all the air out? Was the heat turned on in the vehicle to flush any air out of the heater core?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
EJ start the car and let it run with the heat FULL BLAST with the radiator cap open. every so often squeeze the upper rad hose and I bet you'll see air bubbles come out

OP: sounds like a water pump issue... it is only moving enough coolant when the rpm range is higher... would eb a good time to do the timing belt and water pump at 200k miles

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
something similar to this happened to an old beat up civic I had, poor sucker was running on the worst head Gasket I had ever seen. changed it and it fixed that problem.