2005 Civic shift gear issue

JRBB

i just purchased a 2005 Civic coupe manual a couple days ago, test drove it and everything worked find. Got paperwork done today took it for drive and had an issue shifting into gear had to pull to aside let it sit for a while and after moving shifter it worked for me enough to drive home but have not been able to shift again, it seems like stuck on nuetral cant shift into gear at all, any suggestions could it be clutch or transmission

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
i just purchased a 2005 Civic coupe manual a couple days ago, test drove it and everything worked find. Got paperwork done today took it for drive and had an issue that the it seems like stuck on nuetral can shift into gear nor driving or parked, any suggestions could it be clutch or transmission
Can it shift into gear when engine is off? Did you try all gears including reverse? Inspect where the cables attach to the transmission for worn bushings or if the cotter pin came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRBB

Can it shift into gear when engine is off? Did you try all gears including reverse? Inspect where the cables attach to the transmission for worn bushings or if the cotter pin came out.

yes i can shift gears with car off, all 5 and reverse, also check where cables attach to transmission and everything looks right, cotter pin are their. Turn car back on and no shifting allowed, any suggestions Thank you

dancam

Registered VIP
I suspect the clutch. Try turning the car off, put it in first, make sure nothing is in front of you and push the clutch pedal all the way down and try to start it. If the car moves ahead while cranking then its something to do with the clutch.

dancam

Registered VIP
Oh, check your brake and clutch fluid level first.

JRBB

I suspect the clutch. Try turning the car off, put it in first, make sure nothing is in front of you and push the clutch pedal all the way down and try to start it. If the car moves ahead while cranking then its something to do with the clutch.

just tried and yeah it push forward

dancam

Registered VIP
Was it low enough for there to be a possibility that air got in the line? Because that would do it.

JRBB

Was it low enough for there to be a possibility that air got in the line? Because that would do it.

it was on the bottom line on small container and a little past middle on bigger brake fluid container, its a clutch job more or less how much could i be looking at

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you got it from a dealer, bring it back to them.

If not, we might want to verify the slave and master cylinders are working fine before looking into a clutch replacement. Fluid could be leaking from there, or even just from the lines.

JRBB

we checked the Master cylinder and the lines no leaks, had a mechanic look at it and it seems like the clutch, my question now is are the clutch kits on ebay safe to buy

Last edited:

dancam

Registered VIP
Yes they are. Ive bought and installed 4. First one was has 200k on it, others have between 80-120k since and no issues. Get a name brand though

JRBB

im looking at amazon cause i need the 2 day shipping is this a good one,

EXEDY KHC08 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit

dancam

Registered VIP
Exedy is a good brand. I cant click your link though. But it shouldn't be a problem. I would still try bleeding the clutch before ordering it, but up to you of course.

JRBB

Exedy is a good brand. I cant click your link though. But it shouldn't be a problem. I would still try bleeding the clutch before ordering it, but up to you of course.

tried that also and no luck, we moved the fork boot and touch a bit inside and my fingers came out heavy in black dust like break dust, now i order the clutch kit from Amazon and hopefully I will be attempting to start the swap tomorrow if it arrives on time, im trying to replace this myself any suggestions. I have done clutchwork and some mechanical work on small turf equipment i know not same.

Where can I find torque spec for the parts I remove and what other parts should i replace while im doing this Thanks

dancam

Registered VIP
Ok, cool. Buy a haynes manual. Step by step instructions for everything on the car with pictures and all torque specs. $20. I would flush clutch fluid with new but you may have already done that. Good time to change transmission fluid.

JRBB

Ok, cool. Buy a haynes manual. Step by step instructions for everything on the car with pictures and all torque specs. $20. I would flush clutch fluid with new but you may have already done that. Good time to change transmission fluid.

ok Thanks will do

JRBB

One more question i saw earlier today online someone that mention that they wher using w30 oil to lubricated the transmission gears instead of the transmission fluid from honda, is that any good for gears Thanks

dancam

Registered VIP
One more question i saw earlier today online someone that mention that they wher using w30 oil to lubricated the transmission gears instead of the transmission fluid from honda, is that any good for gears Thanks
No, bad idea. Honda put that in the service specs as a TEMPORARY measure in case you are a long way from the dealership and cant buy the mtf. It says to drain it and refill with mtf asap if you absolutely had to use 10w30 for some reason.
It only takes 1.6L of fluid, so buy 2L of honda mtf or maybe GM syncromesh (read a thread Hex had about it) and put that in there. Honda transmissions seem to shear the fluid quite quickly according to oil analysis. Mine was disgusting when i changed it and new mtf made a huge difference.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No, bad idea. Honda put that in the service specs as a TEMPORARY measure in case you are a long way from the dealership and cant buy the mtf. It says to drain it and refill with mtf asap if you absolutely had to use 10w30 for some reason.
It only takes 1.6L of fluid, so buy 2L of honda mtf or maybe GM syncromesh (read a thread Hex had about it) and put that in there. Honda transmissions seem to shear the fluid quite quickly according to oil analysis. Mine was disgusting when i changed it and new mtf made a huge difference.

+1 for GM synchromesh, that's what I used in both my D16 and B18.. never had any issues :thumbs up