2005 Honda Civic EX coolant problem

DjCupid22

Hey guys, my Civic has 142,XXX miles on it currently. Not too long ago (Springtime), my car started overheating off and on...Heater wouldn't work normally on startup. I ended up realizing the coolant levels were very low. And put about 3/4 of the jug in the radiator (directly in, not the reservoir), as well as burping the system. Just a few days ago, the car's temp gauge started going back up to about H, but then back down to normal after driving the car. What's weird is it only goes up on idle, but goes to normal after driving. So I added in the remaining 1/4 of the jug, and burped it, and the car went back to normal. Now tonight, my father smelled anti-freeze in the garage. Now from the details I just presented, can you guys give me any ideas where to start. I'm going to check the oil, so make sure it isn't the head gasket, and I'm praying it isn't. After a bit of research, I'm thinking that it's the Water Pump, and that the pump is leaking. I figure 142,000 miles, it's got to need replacing by now, as I've never replaced it before. Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it.

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you have green anti freeze in it get a black light and trace the leak down, but it is time for a belt and water pump

DjCupid22

Yea, there was some green stuff on the floor of the garage, although I couldn't classify it as anti-freeze, but assumed it was. I just couldn't really smell it. I know it's supposed to smell sort of like syrup. I checked, and I don't have any anti-freeze in the oil, so that was a plus! (The oil didn't have that milkshake frothy look, and looked normal).

Ethaniscool

Im new to honda's but that sounds like a waterpump leak. When was the last time it was changed?